From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: A4 formatted ARM?
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 18:14:43 -0500
Date: 2008-05-07T18:14:43-05:00	[thread overview]

"John McCabe" <john@nospam.assen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:ui2324dn0re154g2lq3evd0ebpa600om2d@4ax.com...
> This is what I've found - note that I changed copied RM.MSM to
> RMA4.MSM and changed:
>
> @RTFPageSize{Ada95}

> @RTFPageSize{A4}
>
> Hence it may be that some paragraph numbers, such as that in item 10
> below, may be different for you as it looks like that one's due to a
> page break.
>
> 1: Paragraph 6/2 (Introduction) - "Design Goals". Need to format the
> paragraph number (6/2) frame so that the horizontal distance from the
> text is 0cm.

Looks like there isn't enough space for the paragraph numbers. That's not
totally surprising; the ISO versions which use that A4 template don't have
paragraph numbers so there hasn't been any reason to check that part of the
layout.

> I've just tried OpenOffice 2.4 with the RTF created, it just hangs as
> far as I can see - I had to kill it off. Maybe it will work better on
> a non-Microsoft platform, or one with more than 1GB of RAM :-)

Darn. I'm not completely surprised, I suspect from the behavior of Word that
there is something wrong with the generated RTF, but since there is no
information about it at all (the only error that you can get is a failure of
it to load or a crash or hang) it's not clear how to figure out the problem.
I'm pretty sure the problem is with the horrific RTF required to generate
tables, but that it about all I can tell since the RTF requires repeating
the entire setup in every cell, which makes the result completely
unreadable. Of course, it works with Word (but not completely, since you
can't save it as RTF), so there wasn't much point in continuing to hack on
it.

I'll have to try to figure that out someday, but there isn't a huge rush (no
new standards for a while, I think).

                                                 Randy.