From: Arthur Griffith <arthur@belugalake.com>
Subject: Re: Ada Getting More Shelf Publicity
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:04:56 GMT
Date: 2003-08-22T18:04:56+00:00	[thread overview]

The subject of the book is GCC and all of its languages. I didn't try
to dig dig into any of the languages (other than some of the GCC
variations to them), but only to explain how to install and run the
compiler. Actually, I had to do a bit of extra work in describing Ada
because the installation of it is in two phases--first by installing
the GNAT compiler and then by installing the GCC Ada compiler. That
was necessary because some of the source is in Ada. The rest of the
source of GCC is in C and can be bootstrapped with any simple C
compiler.

It would be nice, and very helpful to Ada, if the bootstrap version of
it were written in C. That way the installation of Ada would be duck
soup. More people would try the language if it were easier to install.

This is just a suggestion. I wish I had time to take on a project like
a C bootstrap for Ada, but I am booked up (pardon the pun) for some
time to come yet.

Warren, thanks for checking out the book.