From: Craig Carey <research@ijs.co.nz>
Subject: Re: OpenBSD 3.5 & GNAT
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 18:15:48 +1200
Date: 2004-06-04T18:15:48+12:00	[thread overview]

On 3 Jun 2004 16:12:47 -0700, rm@gunlab.com.ru (Roman V. Isaev) wrote:
>> > Bad magic: ld.so
>:( Why GNAT disappeared from OpenBSD? It was there in 3.3.

Does the Linux emulator not run in OpenBSD ?. I suppose so.

GNAT Ada can be compiled in Linux running inside of a VMware (Russia uses
the www.damn.to software to make it run longer). An easy thing to do
is to give up on installing GNAT in OpenBSD (unless their Linux emulator
has bugs).

Mr M. Espie has written a lot of messages at the gcc mailing list with
some hints on getting Ada compiled in OpenBSD (I sent quoted messages
privately). The messages seemed rather unhelpful.

Problems with the debugger can be major: in FreeBSD 4, blocking sockets
blocked tasks.

I tried to fix that by compiling up a native FreeBSD GNAT cross-compiler
that generated Linux ELF excutables but the exectuables created were
a bit corrupt:
   http://www.ijs.co.nz/code/ada95-freebsd-to-linux-cross-compiler.txt

--

PS. MinGW now installs out of the box. The GPS debugger was not printing
out the values of variables. It looks like Germans need to keep buying

I find my FreeBSD 5 system is auto-erasing. The absence ofthat was a top
reason for minimizing use of Linux.  The popularity of FreeBSD is quickly
rising apparently according to their download stats.

Craig Carey