* C2Ada  port to linux updated.
@ 2007-08-13 10:14 Nasser Abbasi
From: Nasser Abbasi @ 2007-08-13 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

-- I've send this few hrs ago but it does not seem to have went
through, trying again. Sorry if this post shows twice.

I've just updated c2ada so that it now builds now on linux 2.6.20. The
updated source code and instructions how to build are here

http://12000.org/my_notes/ada/c2ada_port/index.htm

There is example of how to run it and the ada files generated.

This tool seems useful in translating C header files.

Nasser

* Re: C2Ada port to linux updated.
@ 2007-08-14  4:41 ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2007-08-14  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 13, 3:14 am, Nasser Abbasi <n...@12000.org> wrote:
> -- I've send this few hrs ago but it does not seem to have went
> through, trying again. Sorry if this post shows twice.
>
> I've just updated c2ada so that it now builds now on linux 2.6.20. The
> updated source code and instructions how to build are here
>
> http://12000.org/my_notes/ada/c2ada_port/index.htm
>
> There is example of how to run it and the ada files generated.
>
> This tool seems useful in translating C header files.
>
> Nasser

Awsome, Nasser!

About a year ago I looked into this but it was "beyond my skill set"
to repair. (Love that phrase.) What I do remember is that there were
multiple versions (all non-working) and that many of the web links to
it had gone stale. Is it possible to make this available on some well-
known Ada site, or at least the above link?

Jerry

* Re: C2Ada port to linux updated.
@ 2007-08-14  6:36   ` Nasser Abbasi
From: Nasser Abbasi @ 2007-08-14  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jerry" <lanceboyle@qwest.net> wrote in message
> On Aug 13, 3:14 am, Nasser Abbasi <n...@12000.org> wrote:
>> -- I've send this few hrs ago but it does not seem to have went
>> through, trying again. Sorry if this post shows twice.
>>
>> I've just updated c2ada so that it now builds now on linux 2.6.20. The
>> updated source code and instructions how to build are here
>>
>> http://12000.org/my_notes/ada/c2ada_port/index.htm
>>
>> There is example of how to run it and the ada files generated.
>>
>> This tool seems useful in translating C header files.
>>
>> Nasser
>

> Awsome, Nasser!
>
> About a year ago I looked into this but it was "beyond my skill set"
> to repair. (Love that phrase.) What I do remember is that there were
> multiple versions (all non-working) and that many of the web links to
> it had gone stale. Is it possible to make this available on some well-
> known Ada site, or at least the above link?
>
> Jerry

hi Jerry;

It took me a day to make it compile/run on Linux. The main problem was with
using _Bool. They added _Bool data type in C99, for some reason ( I am no
gcc expert), the current gcc 4.1 compiler does not have <stdbool.h> and it
does not know about _Bool, and _Bool is used in many places in the code. I
know I compiled this code ok many years ago, I guess old gcc knew about this
or something like this. Now there seem to be few C standards and variations,
it is confusing. The new gcc does not have <stdbool.h> and it does not know
about _Bool. So my only choice, and out of desperation, was to change
everything from _Bool to bool, and with few other tweaks, it now compiles
and runs. If it compiles and runs, then I assumed these changes did not hurt
the code too much :)  The code needs more support and maintainance than I
can afford now. I had a short break between my school courses so I decided
to do this now. Any one is welcome to take the code and make it better. It
is free source code.

I have no idea how good one would consider the quality of the Ada code this
tool generates, from adahome
http://www.adahome.com/Resources/Tools/Non-Commercial.html it says:

"This tool, released by Intermetrics, is based on cbind (Ada-to-C binding
generator), a tool previously made public by Rational Software Corporation.
 C2ada is capable of generating thin Ada bindings, by translating C header
files into Ada package specifications, and in addition is capable of
translating C functions and statements into Ada package bodies. C2ada will
do about 80% to 90% of the work of producing a thin binding or a
translation, but the last 10% to 20% of the work must still be done
manually. The program is free, includes source code, has no warranty, and is
released to the Ada community in the hope that it will be useful.
Intermetrics has used C2ada to produce Microsoft Windows, X Windows, and
GCCS bindings"

I'll try to send email for some known ada sites if they want to add a link
to this linux port.

@ 2007-08-14 21:05   ` Chip Orange
From: Chip Orange @ 2007-08-14 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

 multiple versions (all non-working) and that many of the web links to
> it had gone stale. Is it possible to make this available on some well-
> known Ada site, or at least the above link?

Yes, please???  My corporate firewall classifies the site the OP mentions as
a porn site and won't let me go there!! :(

Chip

* Re: C2Ada port to linux updated.
@ 2007-08-14 23:16     ` Markus E.L. 2
From: Markus E.L. 2 @ 2007-08-14 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chip Orange" wrote:

>  multiple versions (all non-working) and that many of the web links to
>> it had gone stale. Is it possible to make this available on some well-
>> known Ada site, or at least the above link?
>

> Yes, please???  My corporate firewall classifies the site the OP mentions as
> a porn site and won't let me go there!! :(
>
> Chip

Cool. So much about "smart" firewalls. If one wants to subtly disrupt
a service and drive users and adminsinstrators to madness, one only
has to push and deploy a "smart" filtering scheme preferably based on
"behavioural patterns". This is even better than filtering by IP
numbers.

Regards -- Markus

PS: Chip, I assure you, I've been there: 12000.org is not a porn site. :-)

* Re: C2Ada port to linux updated.
@ 2007-08-14 23:47     ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2007-08-14 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Nasser Abbasi" <nma@12000.org> writes:
[...]
> It took me a day to make it compile/run on Linux. The main problem was with
> using _Bool. They added _Bool data type in C99, for some reason ( I am no
> gcc expert), the current gcc 4.1 compiler does not have <stdbool.h> and it
> does not know about _Bool, and _Bool is used in many places in the code.
[...]

Perhaps you just need to update your gcc.  gcc 4.1.1 does support
<stdbool.h> and _Bool.

San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>

* Re: C2Ada port to linux updated.
@ 2007-08-15  0:01       ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2007-08-15  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Keith Thompson <kst-u@mib.org> writes:
> "Nasser Abbasi" <nma@12000.org> writes:
> [...]
>> It took me a day to make it compile/run on Linux. The main problem was with
>> using _Bool. They added _Bool data type in C99, for some reason ( I am no
>> gcc expert), the current gcc 4.1 compiler does not have <stdbool.h> and it
>> does not know about _Bool, and _Bool is used in many places in the code.
> [...]
>
> Perhaps you just need to update your gcc.  gcc 4.1.1 does support
> <stdbool.h> and _Bool.

That's odd.  I just tried a small test program, and gcc versions 3.2
and 4.0.0 also support <stdbool.h> and _Bool.

Here's the test case:

#include <stdbool.h>
_Bool obj1;
bool obj2;

Save it as, say, "foo.c", feed it to "gcc -c", and see what happens.
Perhaps your gcc is configured and/or installed incorrectly.

@ 2007-08-15  1:15     ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-08-15  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chip Orange wrote:
>  multiple versions (all non-working) and that many of the web links to
>> it had gone stale. Is it possible to make this available on some well-
>> known Ada site, or at least the above link?
>

> Yes, please???  My corporate firewall classifies the site the OP mentions as
> a porn site and won't let me go there!! :(
>
> Chip

The problem with even the well known Ada sites is that they can come and
go and certainly the links will rot as sites go away.

I'd recommend something like sourceforge or savannah.

If no one else is interested in taking that on then I can create the
project though if I do it will be sourceforge as that is what I am used to.

* Re: C2Ada port to linux updated.
@ 2007-08-15  2:14         ` Nasser Abbasi
From: Nasser Abbasi @ 2007-08-15  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 14, 5:01 pm, Keith Thompson <ks...@mib.org> wrote:
> Keith Thompson <ks...@mib.org> writes:
> > "Nasser Abbasi" <n...@12000.org> writes:
> > [...]
> >> It took me a day to make it compile/run on Linux. The main problem was with
> >> using _Bool. They added _Bool data type in C99, for some reason ( I am no
> >> gcc expert), the current gcc 4.1 compiler does not have <stdbool.h> and it
> >> does not know about _Bool, and _Bool is used in many places in the code.
> > [...]
>
> > Perhaps you just need to update your gcc.  gcc 4.1.1 does support
> > <stdbool.h> and _Bool.
>
> That's odd.  I just tried a small test program, and gcc versions 3.2
> and 4.0.0 also support <stdbool.h> and _Bool.
>
> Here's the test case:
>
> #include <stdbool.h>
> _Bool obj1;
> bool obj2;
>
> Save it as, say, "foo.c", feed it to "gcc -c", and see what happens.
> Perhaps your gcc is configured and/or installed incorrectly.
>
> --
> Keith Thompson (The_Other_Keith) ks...@mib.org  <http://www.ghoti.net/~kst>
> San Diego Supercomputer Center             <*>  <http://users.sdsc.edu/~kst>
> "We must do something.  This is something.  Therefore, we must do this."
>     -- Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn, "Yes Minister"

hi Ken;

Yes, the above works, but the c2ada uses typedefs and it includes
_Bool in there, and that is where the problem occur.

I've just reduced this problem to this simple example to help
illustrate it:

gcc -c il.h
il.h:5: error: expected identifier before '_Bool'

$ cat il.h

#include <stdbool.h>

typedef enum {
        _Bool,    /* cvt to Boolean, Ada only, unary */
        _UnBool,  /* cvt bool->int,  Ada only, unary */
} node_kind_t;

$ gcc -c -std=c99 il.h
il.h:5: error: expected identifier before '_Bool'
$ gcc -c -ansi il.h
il.h:5: error: expected identifier before '_Bool'
$ gcc -c -std=gnu89 il.h
il.h:5: error: expected identifier before '_Bool'

nabbasi@my-desktop:~/try$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.1.3 20070403 for GNAT GPL 2007 (20070402)

Could you please try the above on your system? may be my gcc
installation is bad.
I am using Ubuntu

nabbasi@my-desktop:~/try$ uname -a
Linux my-desktop 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP Sun Apr 15 07:36:31 UTC 2007
i686 GNU/Linux

@ 2007-08-15  6:35     ` Martin Krischik
From: Martin Krischik @ 2007-08-15  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chip Orange schrieb:
>  multiple versions (all non-working) and that many of the web links to
>> it had gone stale. Is it possible to make this available on some well-
>> known Ada site, or at least the above link?
>

> Yes, please???  My corporate firewall classifies the site the OP mentions as
> a porn site and won't let me go there!! :(

That's why I always suggest SourceForge. At least SourceForge is here to
stay, and has a "project takeover procedure".

Martin

--
mailto://krischik@users.sourceforge.net

* Re: C2Ada port to linux updated.
@ 2007-08-15  6:40           ` Keith Thompson
From: Keith Thompson @ 2007-08-15  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nasser Abbasi <nma@12000.org> writes:
> On Aug 14, 5:01 pm, Keith Thompson <ks...@mib.org> wrote:
[...]
>> That's odd.  I just tried a small test program, and gcc versions 3.2
>> and 4.0.0 also support <stdbool.h> and _Bool.
>>
>> Here's the test case:
>>
>> #include <stdbool.h>
>> _Bool obj1;
>> bool obj2;
>>
>> Save it as, say, "foo.c", feed it to "gcc -c", and see what happens.
>> Perhaps your gcc is configured and/or installed incorrectly.
>
> hi Ken;

It's Keith.

> Yes, the above works, but the c2ada uses typedefs and it includes
> _Bool in there, and that is where the problem occur.
>
> I've just reduced this problem to this simple example to help
> illustrate it:
>
> gcc -c il.h
> il.h:5: error: expected identifier before '_Bool'
>

> $ cat il.h
>
> #include <stdbool.h>
>
> typedef enum {
>         _Bool,    /* cvt to Boolean, Ada only, unary */
>         _UnBool,  /* cvt bool->int,  Ada only, unary */
> } node_kind_t;
[...]

gcc is quite correct to reject that.  In C99, "_Bool" is a keyword.
The code above attempts to use it as an identifier.

Some background.  There have been two ISO C sntadards, C90
(essentially identical to the ANSI C89 standard) and C99.  (There was
a minor update in 1995, but we'll ignore that.)  Almost all current C
compilers fully support C90.  Most implement various compiler-specific
extensions, but have an option to disable them.  Very few compilers
implement the full C99 standard, but many compilers implement parts of
it.

C90 doesn't have a boolean type.  C99 added a new type (and keyword)
"_Bool", a name chosen to avoid colliding with identifiers in existing
code; a new header <stdbool.h> provides "bool" as an alias for "_Bool".

gcc implements _Bool as a keyword.  In C, identifiers starting with
'_' are reserved to the implementation (the rules are slightly more
complex than that), so code outside the standard runtime library
shouldn't be using such identifiers in the first place.  That's
exactly why the C99 standard chose the name _Bool, to avoid
breaking valid code.

c2ada needs to be fixed so it doesn't use "_Bool" as an identifier,
and preferably so it doesn't use any identifiers starting with
underscores.  Possibly it needs to avoid collisions with identifiers
in the C code it processes, but that can be done by prepending some
common prefix to each identifier.

@ 2007-08-15  9:44       ` Nasser Abbasi
From: Nasser Abbasi @ 2007-08-15  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> wrote in message
> Chip Orange wrote:
>>  multiple versions (all non-working) and that many of the web links to
>>> it had gone stale. Is it possible to make this available on some well-
>>> known Ada site, or at least the above link?
>>

>> Yes, please???  My corporate firewall classifies the site the OP mentions
>> as a porn site and won't let me go there!! :(
>>
>> Chip
>>

> The problem with even the well known Ada sites is that they can come and
> go and certainly the links will rot as sites go away.
>
> I'd recommend something like sourceforge or savannah.
>
> If no one else is interested in taking that on then I can create the
> project though if I do it will be sourceforge as that is what I am used
> to.

That is a good idea Jeffrey. I support it. This way c2Ada can be reached by
more folks, and hopefully this way it might proof more useful in porting C
code to Ada.

I have no experience at all with sourceforge, if you can do this, please do.
Any thing I can to help just let me know All the source code is in that tar
file, with a Makefile, and instructions how to build it are on that link
also, and the original source code is there also. Having the code under
source control is very important.

The code is old and needs some dusting off but it compiles and builds ok, at
least on my Linux box. I could not port to Cygwin, there are some libraries
missing from cygwin, I think it was the gperf.so which is needed by c2Ada
link.

It would be great if c2Ada could be made such that one can 'see it' from
adept_manager for example. I do not know how this process works.  I really
think adept_manager is amazing. With one click one can download any
application for Linux, and the system takes care of all the dependency and
other conflicts.

Thanks for your offer to help.

@ 2007-08-16  2:15         ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-08-16  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

I submitted a Source Forge project request. It usually takes a day or
two to get approved. I'll import in what is on the site that started
this thread once the project is up.

I probably will not do anything with it at this time beyond confirming
that it builds.

I'll post another announcement once it is up. Anyone interested in being
a project admin can email me at that time. I'll probably add the
existing gnuada admins unless anyone is against it.

* Re: C2Ada port to linux updated.
@ 2007-08-17  2:15         ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-08-17  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nasser Abbasi wrote:
> "Jeffrey Creem" <jeff@thecreems.com> wrote in message

>> I'd recommend something like sourceforge or savannah.
>>
>> If no one else is interested in taking that on then I can create the
>> project though if I do it will be sourceforge as that is what I am used
>> to.
>
> That is a good idea Jeffrey. I support it. This way c2Ada can be reached by
> more folks, and hopefully this way it might proof more useful in porting C
> code to Ada.

I've done some of the initial work to setup the project. I setup a SVN
repository. Imported the older version, attempted to overlay your
updates and setup the initial webpage for it based largely on the
original html file inside the distribution.

http://c2ada.sf.net

I have not yet uploaded the zip files themselves.

If you get sourceforge account (I'd recommend it), I'll add you as
project admin to ensure you can continue to make updates in the SVN
repository and/or other tasks associated with the project.

* Re: C2Ada port to linux updated.
@ 2007-08-19 23:00           ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2007-08-19 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 16, 7:15 pm, Jeffrey Creem <j...@thecreems.com> wrote:
> I've done some of the initial work to setup the project. I setup a SVN
> repository. Imported the older version, attempted to overlay your
> updates and setup the initial webpage for it based largely on the
> original html file inside the distribution.
>
> http://c2ada.sf.net

The sourceforge page looks excellent. Just a note that the link to
inmet.com goes nowhere interesting.

Jerry

* Re: C2Ada port to linux updated.
@ 2007-08-20 12:15             ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2007-08-20 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jerry wrote:
> On Aug 16, 7:15 pm, Jeffrey Creem <j...@thecreems.com> wrote:
>> I've done some of the initial work to setup the project. I setup a SVN
>> repository. Imported the older version, attempted to overlay your
>> updates and setup the initial webpage for it based largely on the
>> original html file inside the distribution.
>>
>> http://c2ada.sf.net
>
> The sourceforge page looks excellent. Just a note that the link to
> inmet.com goes nowhere interesting.
>
> Jerry

Thanks. Cleaned up a little more. I'd love to make the wiki wide open so
anyone can correct it but the spammers and kids have made that painful.

* Re: C2Ada port to linux updated.
@ 2007-08-24 20:11       ` Chip Orange
From: Chip Orange @ 2007-08-24 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Markus E.L. 2"
<development-2006-8ecbb5cc8aREMOVETHIS@ANDTHATm-e-leypold.de> wrote in
message news:f0abstemgq.fsf@hod.lan.m-e-leypold.de...

> "Chip Orange" wrote:
>
>>  multiple versions (all non-working) and that many of the web links to
>>> it had gone stale. Is it possible to make this available on some well-
>>> known Ada site, or at least the above link?
>>

>> Yes, please???  My corporate firewall classifies the site the OP mentions
>> as
>> a porn site and won't let me go there!! :(
>>
>> Chip
>
> Cool. So much about "smart" firewalls. If one wants to subtly disrupt
> a service and drive users and adminsinstrators to madness, one only
> has to push and deploy a "smart" filtering scheme preferably based on
> "behavioural patterns". This is even better than filtering by IP
> numbers.
>
> Regards -- Markus
>
> PS: Chip, I assure you, I've been there: 12000.org is not a porn site. :-)

Oh yes, I know, I put in a complaint and the company (I think FortiGate???)
corrected it.  Evidently they distribute a list of IP addresses with various
classifications attached.  They corrected 12000.org.