From: Niklas Holsti <niklas.holsti@tidorum.invalid>
Subject: Re: Installing .ads, best practices ?
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 17:38:23 +0300
Date: 2018-04-30T17:38:23+03:00	[thread overview]

On 18-04-30 16:17 , patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> If we create our own C libraries on Linux(or similar posix) the best
> practice is to put the header in /usr/local/lib and not in /usr/lib
> where the original libraries installed by the package manager or at
> install time are located.
>
> On my system, most of the .ads spec files are located in:
> /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6/rts-native/adainclude/
>
> It doesn't seem to like a good idea to install my own spec files
> there for system wide use.
>
> Would /usr/local/include be better? Do you use something like this?
> If so, do you have an environmental variable in your.bashrc so that
> gnatmake finds it without passing an argument ?

Perhaps some good suggestions can be found in the Debian Ada Policy, at
https://people.debian.org/~lbrenta/debian-ada-policy.html.

As for gnatmake, my practice is to have a program-specific shell-script
that is "sourced" to define the ADA_INCLUDE_PATH (and sometimes
ADA_OBJECTS_PATH) that lists the locations of the source and object
files. But I recomment to use gprbuild and a library project if possible.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd