* usb port
@ 2004-07-31 18:46 evie
From: evie @ 2004-07-31 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

how do i open usb ports?

* Re: usb port
@ 2004-07-31 20:10 ` Duncan Sands
       [not found] ` <200407312210.44003.baldrick@free.fr>
From: Duncan Sands @ 2004-07-31 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada; +Cc: evie

On Saturday 31 July 2004 20:46, evie wrote:
> how do i open usb ports?

Do you mean, how do you access a USB device?
The general answer is: the same as in C.  For more
details, you need to tell us more, for example what
operating system you are using.

Ciao,

Duncan.

* Re: usb port
@ 2004-08-01 15:24 ` evie
       [not found] ` <200407312210.44003.baldrick@free.fr>
From: evie @ 2004-08-01 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

im currently running windows 98. i'm trying to connect a web cam but there
doesnt seem to be any power coming from my usb port. i have been in system
properties and over the usb details there is !. i have tried to update the
usb driver but when i incert the disc windows 98 second edition it is
saying the driver cannot be found. is there any driver i can download to
open the usb port? if so how do i do this?

* Re: usb port
@ 2004-08-01 17:25   ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 2004-08-01 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada; +Cc: evie

On Sunday 01 August 2004 17:24, evie wrote:
> im currently running windows 98. i'm trying to connect a web cam but there
> doesnt seem to be any power coming from my usb port. i have been in system
> properties and over the usb details there is !. i have tried to update the
> usb driver but when i incert the disc windows 98 second edition it is
> saying the driver cannot be found. is there any driver i can download to
> open the usb port? if so how do i do this?

This is the wrong mailing list for this question, sorry.

Duncan.

* Re: usb port
       [not found] ` <200407312210.44003.baldrick@free.fr>
@ 2004-08-02 14:35   ` Stephen Leake
       [not found]   ` <ullgxwqt1.fsf@acm.org>
From: Stephen Leake @ 2004-08-02 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

Duncan Sands <baldrick@free.fr> writes:

> On Saturday 31 July 2004 20:46, evie wrote:
> > how do i open usb ports?
>
> Do you mean, how do you access a USB device?
> The general answer is: the same as in C.

Why do we always assume the poster knows how to do it in C?

I know, it's a reasonable assumption. But it bugs me.

Perhaps a better answer:

Read the operating system and hardware manuals for your computer.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: usb port
       [not found]   ` <ullgxwqt1.fsf@acm.org>
@ 2004-08-02 14:41     ` Duncan Sands
From: Duncan Sands @ 2004-08-02 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada; +Cc: Stephen Leake

> > The general answer is: the same as in C.
>
> Why do we always assume the poster knows how to do it in C?

Well, the chance that the operating system is itself written in C,
and uses C for it's base API, is pretty high.  This means that it is
usually easiest to first work out how to do something in C, and then
transform that into Ada.  When AdaOS achieves world domination,
this will be different of course :)

All the best,

Duncan.

* Re: usb port
@ 2004-08-02 15:48       ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2004-08-02 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.57.1091457735.416.comp.lang.ada@ada-france.org>, Duncan Sands <baldrick@free.fr> writes:
>> > The general answer is: the same as in C.
>>
>> Why do we always assume the poster knows how to do it in C?
>
> Well, the chance that the operating system is itself written in C,
> and uses C for it's base API, is pretty high.

It seems to me that Ada people should be the _last_ to cater to the
majority and snub the minority.

I regularly eschew vendors who "assume C".