From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: ARM and AARM pdf's: no bookmarks
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 23:25:55 -0600
Date: 2007-11-14T23:25:55-06:00	[thread overview]

"braver" <deliverable@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1195082338.627980.88590@22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com...
> When using ARM and AARM pdf's from AdaIC site, they show no bookmarks
> in Adobe Reader.  Many modern books come with bookmarks for chapters
> and subchapters, which are shown hierarchically in PDF viewers,
> allowing for quick jump to a section of interest.  Who should be
> contacted to suggest the official pdf's are processed to get such
> bookmarks?

You'd probably want to ask me.

But I have absolutely no idea of how to add bookmarks to the PDF in an
automated way, given that the original files are processed through Microsoft
Word. (Adding them by hand surely won't be practical.) The existing
table-of-contents information doesn't seem to make bookmarks when the
document is printed to Distiller. I've tried some of the other conversion
plugins, but they don't seem to be able to use the proper fonts (which makes
the Unicode examples unreadable). We don't have the budget to spend time
figuring this out (we have no requirement to make PDFs for anyone).

In any case, we produced the PDF versions solely for the purpose of printing
the standard. If you want a version with links, use the HTML version (which
also gives you access to a decent search facility and a fully linked
syntax).

If you really, really wanted to upgrade the PDFs, I'd suggest downloading
the Standard's construction tools and doing this yourself. I'd be happy to
give you some pointers if you wanted to do that (and the handful of
hand-corrections that are needed to make the document printable).

               Randy Brukardt, ARG editor; Editor, ISO/IEC 8652