* Kernel Mods with Ada?
@ 2003-09-23 19:42 Freejack
From: Freejack @ 2003-09-23 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone undertaken the task of creating a Linux Kernel module in Ada?

I was just curious. It seems like a nifty experiment, if only for the
educational experience itself.

There has been lot's of talk about creating an AdaOS, with very little
being done.(With the exception of the OpenRavenscar project, and a couple
others.) Perhaps doing kernel work with an existing OS would be a
practical intermediary step before jumping whole hog into an entirely new
Operating System project.

Just curious. I've been toying with the idea of creating Ravenscar based
kernel modules for Linux as a way to learn Systems programming with Ada.
Creating similiar experimental projects for BSD would also be on my
list of things to do.

Although I highly doubt such a work would be accepted by the C centric
world of *nix kernel hacking, it would be educational nonetheless.

Any suggestions?

Freejack

* Re: Kernel Mods with Ada?
@ 2003-09-24  1:18 ` Jeff C,
From: Jeff C, @ 2003-09-24  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Freejack" <user@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone undertaken the task of creating a Linux Kernel module in Ada?
>
> I was just curious. It seems like a nifty experiment, if only for the
> educational experience itself.

I did a quick test to see if I could create a hello world (via printk
binding) and was able to do it at
some point..

Another neat thing to look at is
http://bernia.disca.upv.es/rtportal/apps/rtl-gnat/
which is a port of GNAT to run under RTLinux.

The Ada programs get loaded as RtLinux Kernel modules. Won't work on vanilla
Linux but still pretty cool.