From: Jeffrey Creem <jeff@thecreems.com>
Subject: Re: How available is 'freely available' ?
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 10:17:30 -0400
Date: 2006-04-22T10:17:30-04:00	[thread overview]

flupp wrote:
> Ludovic,
>
> Thank you for your answer. Another (call it 'follow-on') question based
> upon your answer, is :
> can I use AdaCore's GtkAda as a (GPL) binding over GTK (which itself is
> LGPL'd), in a compiled commercial program (supposed I don't link in any
> other GPL libraries, but eventually still might link in GMGPL or LGPL
> libraries) ?
>
> I agree on your point that my best bet would most probably be to use a
> commercial GNAT Pro, but to pay (uselessly) for something that may
> eventually be free (not breaking any other rules) would not be bright
> neither, would it ?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> PhB

I would not call it paying uselessly since you get the license you want,
you get support that is good and you get tools/libraries that have had
some real thouht by real developers working the product to make sure you
end up with something stable.

Having said that, if you don't care about support and don't care that
much about having well tested tools then there are other options.

If you don't want to distribute your code under the terms of the GPL,
then I recommend not trying to look for loopholes or rationalaizations
why linking in a GPL library will end up being ok. It almost certainly
will not be ok.

If you carefully use the correct versions of code at the gnuada.sf.net
you can get GMGPL versions of *Most* things you are likely to use.
(Gtkada, GNAT/GCC).

And to reiterate what two others have indicated...You are free to use
the GPL versions of the libraries for commercial purposes as long as you
  sell your commercial product in a manner that is complaint with the GPL.

Finally, the scariest thing about this is of course that for all you
know, all of this legal advice is being generated by monkeys banging on
keyboards (though in all fairness, I suppose half of the laws read that
way too). If you are working with/for/in a large company with a legal
staff you really need to include them in the decision making process.

If it is just you, then just realize the sort of risk you are taking
getting "free" legal advise on usenet. (Though I suppose why would one
pay for a lawyer now when if one gets arrested, the state will provide
one for free :)