From: sbelmont700@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Dynamic accessibility
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 09:51:56 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-06-24T09:51:56-07:00	[thread overview]

On Friday, June 22, 2012 4:03:35 PM UTC-4, Randy Brukardt wrote:
> Note that "aliased" parameters help a bit here (they're
> guaranteed to live as long as the result of the function call, which is a
> bit longer than a "normal" parameter).

Since there is an active topic about it, what exactly is the distinction between explicitly aliased parameters for functions and those of procedures?  The way I read the LRM 6.1 (and from what I glean elsewhere), either a procedure or a function can have an E.A.P, and that your mention of 'function call' is assumed to mean 'subprogram call' in general.

However, the rules in 3.10.2 also vauge.  7/3 says "Other than for an explicitly aliased parameter...", so that parameter rule does not apply to EAPS of either functions or procedures.  13.3/3 deals specifically with functions, as does 19.2/3, and so nothing seems to explicitly apply to the EAP of a procedure.

Is there some other rule that applies by default, or is 'function' assumed to mean both (which I don't recall happening elsewher in the LRM, but I of course am not that familiar with it).

-sb