From: Jean-Pierre Rosen <rosen@adalog.fr>
Subject: Re: AADL Workshop
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 11:08:30 +0200
Date: 2005-08-08T11:08:30+02:00	[thread overview]

Marco a �crit :
> (still off topic) How does this compare with SysML ?
SysML is an extension to UML to try and accomodate systems. AADL is a
textual language, intended right from the start for system design. A
feature-by- feature comparison would be too long for this thread...

> Is it really
> necessary to create yet another System level design language?
This is a good question that should be directed to the SysML people.
AADL evolved from MetaH, which was in use in avionics systems long
before the SysML effort started. AADL is a registered standard *today*,
while SysML is still in the early phases.

> Wouldn't
> these folks be better off trying to influence SysML which is currently
> being defined.
There is also a UML profile that will achieve standardization soon. We
would have loved to have the OMG people participate, rather than
starting their own effort from scratch.

> Since OMG standards are freely available they will
> probably have more impact, right or wrong IMHO and be more widely
> adopted.
I industry makes technical decisions based on the selling price of a
standard... then I'm afraid of the future of industry!

Moreover, free availability of the standard is not the most important
thing. AADL *today* has a free Eclipse plug-in (OSATE), emacs mode, free
tutorials, etc. See http://www.aadl.info.

            J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)