From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: Ada not mentioned in GCC 4.3 release notes
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:45:18 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2008-03-11T08:45:18-07:00	[thread overview]

Britt Snodgrass wrote:
> On Mar 11, 4:28�am, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
> > AdaCore ship release notes and lists of known problems in each release
> > of GNAT Pro or GNAT GPL (look in ${prefix}/share/doc/gnat).
> > Unfortunately, they omit to synchronise these release notes with GCC's
> > announcement page. This reduces the visibility of Ada to the casual
> > user and reinforces the impression that Ada is a second-class citizen
> > in GCC. Too bad.
> >

> Yes, I agree that its looks bad.  I've raised the issue on the gcc
> list before but nothing has happened.

Indeed. AdaCore spends their time supporting their paying customers,
not the "enthusiasts" looking at the public sources of GCC.

> However, I have GNAT Pro 6.1.1 (the latest release) at work and it
> reports that it is using GCC 4.1.3, not 4.3, so maybe that's part of
> the explanation.

Not really. The front-end and back-end have different life cycles.
Almost all of the changes in AdaCore's release notes are in the front-
end only. The front-end in GCC 4.3 is roughly equivalent to that of
GNAT GPL 2007 (GNAT Pro 6.1.0?) so the release notes for those
versions should apply, up to a point, to GCC 4.3. The date at which
each feature was implemented gives a clue as to which features are in
GCC 4.3. It should even be possible to correlate each item in the
release notes with a commit in the public GCC repository but that's
obviously a lot of work.

--
Ludovic Brenta.