From: "Dan'l Miller" <optikos@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Pre-Ada documents - Green Language
Date: Sat, 31 May 2014 15:19:14 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2014-05-31T15:19:14-07:00	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 10:22:26 AM UTC-5, Bill Findlay wrote:
> Col. Whittaker (sp?) sent me a copy of each colour, but I stupidly binned
> them a long time ago.  8-(

Other than various forms of delivery by Col. Whittaker, what was the primary distribution mechanism of the  Blue, Yellow, Red, and Green tinman documents that underwent a so-called "extensive public review"?  (If delivery by Col. Whittaker was the only mechanism, I cannot see how that qualified as an extensive public review, indeed perhaps not even a public review at all.)

To be considered an extensive public review, these documents must have been made available publicly via non-ad-hoc document-distribution channels within the USA (e.g., GAO to government-depository libraries; entry as amendments into the Congressional Record; some form of DoD document distribution) or throughout NATO.  Do any of the people active in HOLWG during the 1970s remember obtaining the Blue, Yellow, Red, or Green specifications via any source other than Col. Whittaker and/or reading about them indirectly via Dijkstra's commentary in the SIGPLAN Notices bibliography above?  For example, yeah, back in the 1970s, I photocopied mine from the ones in the _________ library.  Or, yeah, back in the 1970s, I send a small check to cover postage to the postal address of the ________ office in the federal government, then they arrived a few weeks later in the U.S. Mail.