From: Anh Vo <anhvofrcaus@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: GPL 2008 is out... and it's faster!
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:50:10 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2008-06-05T08:50:10-07:00	[thread overview]

On Jun 5, 6:33 am, "Alex R. Mosteo" <devn...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm sure many of you are aware that the GPL 2008 version of GNAT was released
> yesterday. It includes several goodies, but the first thing I noticed when

Where did you download it from? from The Libre Site https://libre2.adacore.com/
I notice GNAT GPL Edition 2008 Coming Soon! sign a couple days ago. I
downloaded all previous releases of GNAT from here. However, GNAT GPL
2008 is not available yet.

> compiling part of my codebase is that it felt faster.
>
> And sure enough, here is a preliminary test, compiling my particular do-it-all
> library:
>
> $ time gprbuild -Pagpl
>
> GNAT GPL 2007
> real    4m35.149s
> user    4m1.219s
> sys     0m12.529
>
> GNAT GPL 2008
> real    3m55.710s
> user    3m22.225s
> sys     0m12.713s
>
> I guess there's been a change in the gcc backend leading to this nice speed-up.
> Incidentally, I had to change just one line of code to get this (rather large)
> library to compile (some ambiguity that wasn't perceived as such in the 2007
> version).
>
> And now, to test if interfaces are more useable than before...

It is nice to know that GNAT has evolved and improved. Thanks to
AdaCore for providing this great service to Ada Community.

AV