From: Ludovic Brenta <ludovic@ludovic-brenta.org>
Subject: Re: Ada and beagleboard
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 06:56:03 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-04-30T06:56:03-07:00	[thread overview]

On Apr 30, 3:32 pm, Mike Silva <snarflem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 30, 4:00 am, Ludovic Brenta <ludo...@ludovic-brenta.org> wrote:
>
> > The 128 MiB of RAM might prove insufficient to run gnat comfortably,
> > especially if the board doesn't support paging.
>
> What would be a comfortable amount of RAM in your estimation?

If you want to build gnat, at least 1 GiB is necessary(*). This
requirement would apply, for example, to a Debian "build daemon" which
recompiles all packages in Debian natively (including, therefore, GNAT
and other large packages).

If you only want to compile your own small programs with gnat, 512 MiB
should be sufficient; less if you can use paging to disk; but, again,
I don't know whether the BeagleBoard supports paging or not.

(*) I used to use an IBM ThinkPad T22 with a Pentium III@900 MHz and
256 Mib RAM. Building gnat 3.15p on it was OK; building GCC 4.1 with
only C and Ada enabled took 7 hours and heavy swapping. GCC 4.3 is
even larger. I replaced my T22 with a dual-core laptop with 2 GiB RAM
which I upgraded to 3 GiB for the purposes of recompiling GNAT.

--
Ludovic Brenta.