From: "Jeffrey R. Carter" <spam.jrcarter.not@spam.acm.org>
Subject: Re: Ada OOP syntax
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 19:24:59 GMT
Date: 2008-06-14T19:24:59+00:00	[thread overview]

Steve wrote:

> In Ada there are rules that define the scope of an object.  In my opinion
> this syntax deficiency is the reason the "overriding" and "not overriding"
> constructs were added to Ada 2005.  They improve the situation, but you
> still have to look closely to figure out which entities belong to which
> objects.
>
> Tagged type definitions, IMO are an abomination.  If you look at Delphi (an
> object oriented version of Pascal), or C++, C# or Java, there is no
> ambiguity of the scope of the entities that belong to an object.

Why is it OK for the non-predefined operations of some types (integer,
enumeration, untagged records, ...) to be separate from the type declaration,
but not for tagged records? I'm not a fan of programming by extension (the
correct name for OOP, which has nothing to do with object orientation), but you
should at least be consistent in your objections.

--
Jeff Carter
"In the frozen land of Nador they were forced to