* why is ada better than forth haskell lisp swi prolog and pharo?
@ 2017-11-10 18:54 trump4evahh
From: trump4evahh @ 2017-11-10 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

wy?

* Re: why is ada better than forth haskell lisp swi prolog and pharo?
@ 2017-11-10 19:45 ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2017-11-10 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Easy man: since it's the best one, it is better than any random list of other ones ;-)

* Re: why is ada better than forth haskell lisp swi prolog and pharo?
@ 2017-11-11 10:30   ` Ingo M.
From: Ingo M. @ 2017-11-11 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> it is better than any random list of other ones ;-)

Ah, that explains why SPARK 2014 (which is better than Ada) is not built with Ada but OCaml :-)

Quote: "In order to build SPARK, you need to install first the following dependencies (and we recommend using the OPAM package manager for these): ocaml compiler, ..."

https://github.com/AdaCore/spark2014

* Re: why is ada better than forth haskell lisp swi prolog and pharo?
@ 2017-11-11 16:03     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2017-11-11 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le samedi 11 novembre 2017 à 02:30 -0800, Ingo M. a écrit :
> > it is better than any random list of other ones ;-)
>
> Ah, that explains why SPARK 2014 (which is better than Ada) is not
> built with Ada but OCaml :-)

I understand the ":)" but yet this is far from true. SPARK is built in
Ada, only a prover is in OCaml. I'm not sure all of them are.

The SPARK compiler and checker is in Ada.

--
  Pascal Obry /  Magny Les Hameaux (78)

  The best way to travel is by means of imagination

  http://www.obry.net

  gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key F949BD3B

* Re: why is ada better than forth haskell lisp swi prolog and pharo?
@ 2017-11-16 16:34       ` Ingo M.
       [not found]         ` <1f23e3dc-6534-44c4-824a-b130869a21ab@googlegroups.com>
From: Ingo M. @ 2017-11-16 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am Samstag, 11. November 2017 17:03:10 UTC+1 schrieb Pascal Obry:

> I understand the ":)" but yet this is far from true. SPARK is built in
> Ada, only a prover is in OCaml.

I did not mention the issue to mock Spark. Actually, I think Ada and Spark belong to the best languages ever since Ada/Spark code is practical, well readable, and very maintainable. I just want to point out that the requirement of OCaml could lead newcomers who are interested in Ada and Spark to the impression that OCaml was chosen because Spark (which provides verification as essential part of the language!) is not qualified to do OCaml's job.

@ 2017-12-07 20:15           ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2017-12-07 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 12:53:16 PM UTC-7, polymorph self wrote:
> On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 11:34:09 AM UTC-5, Ingo M. wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 11. November 2017 17:03:10 UTC+1 schrieb Pascal Obry:
> >
> > > I understand the ":)" but yet this is far from true. SPARK is built in
> > > Ada, only a prover is in OCaml.
> >
> > I did not mention the issue to mock Spark. Actually, I think Ada and Spark belong to the best languages ever since Ada/Spark code is practical, well readable, and very maintainable. I just want to point out that the requirement of OCaml could lead newcomers who are interested in Ada and Spark to the impression that OCaml was chosen because Spark (which provides verification as essential part of the language!) is not qualified to do OCaml's job.
>
> whats spark?

SPARK is a subset of Ada along with proover-tools which allows formal verification on your codebase for proving (eg) the absence of runtime errors or proper data-flow.

Here's a talk on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plXboBx7LUs
And another, which is *REALLY* good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruuZVFbRlr4