From: Martin <martin.dowie@btopenworld.com>
Subject: Re: Rep Specing Variant Records
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 03:10:11 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2009-09-16T03:10:11-07:00	[thread overview]

On Sep 16, 2:22 am, R.B. Love <rbl...@airmail.net> wrote:
[snip]
> First, does the discriminant take up any size in the record?  When I
> tried this with a tagged record, I was told that my placement at 0
> bytes off set classed with the tag.  That's no good.

You need to determine 'has_extra' from somewhere (otherwise, how do
you know what variant you are using?) - are you getting it from a
different location that that will hold 'normal_stuff'/'good_stuff'?

You can move the descriminent to a passed the end of the last
component...it doesn't have to be the first item but I suspect that
you've very much in the realms of what your compiler would allow at
that point. The 99.999% case is that it is the 1st item.

Cheers
-- Martin