* Programming in Linux – Cold Start.
@ 2013-12-12 10:16 Austin Obyrne
From: Austin Obyrne @ 2013-12-12 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I’m planning to have a go at programming crypto ciphers in Linux and am totally vague about how to get started.

My computer has dual booting for Windows 7 & 8 and I would like to know if it is advisable to try partitioning my hard drive further so to include Linux or should I consider an extra external drive??

Apart from that can anybody suggest which version of Linux is best for programming in Ada.

Is it possible to purchase a CD ROM of an Ada compiler (I detest longwinded downloading and the possibility of a load of malware coming with it).

Finally, my existing programs in Ada each contain about 12 very large ‘Case’ packages (most contain about 15000 large non-repeating integers) created in Windows that I use as containers.  Would it be chancy or not to assume that these will adapt smoothly to a Linux environment and I will only have the main programs to contend with for re-writing.

Your help as usual would be greatly appreciated.

Any advice whatever would be appreciated.

adacrypt

* Re: Programming in Linux – Cold Start.
@ 2013-12-12 18:54 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2013-12-12 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Austin Obyrne <austin.obyrne@hotmail.com> writes:

> I’m planning to have a go at programming crypto ciphers in Linux and am totally vague about how to get started.
>
> My computer has dual booting for Windows 7 & 8 and I would like to
> know if it is advisable to try partitioning my hard drive further so
> to include Linux or should I consider an extra external drive??
>
> Apart from that can anybody suggest which version of Linux is best for
> programming in Ada.
>
> Is it possible to purchase a CD ROM of an Ada compiler (I detest
> longwinded downloading and the possibility of a load of malware coming
> with it).

From Linux to ada Hello world in 30 seconds:

    $ apt-get install gnat
    […]
    $ ./hw
    Hello, world!
    $ cat >hw.adb <<EOF
    with Ada.Text_IO; use Ada.Text_IO;
    procedure Hello is
    begin
      Put_Line ("Hello, world!");
    end Hello;
    EOF
    $ gnat make hw.adb
    $ ./hw
    Hello, world!
    $

Now, if you really want it, I suppose I could be bothered to burn a CD
with gnat on it, and send it to you, for $256, S&H included.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/

* Re: Programming in Linux – Cold Start.
@ 2013-12-12 19:08 ` erlo
From: erlo @ 2013-12-12 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/12/2013 11:16 AM, Austin Obyrne wrote:
> I’m planning to have a go at programming crypto ciphers in Linux and am totally vague about how to get started.
>
> My computer has dual booting for Windows 7 & 8 and I would like to know if it is advisable to try partitioning my hard drive further so to include Linux or should I consider an extra external drive??
>
> Apart from that can anybody suggest which version of Linux is best for programming in Ada.
>
> Is it possible to purchase a CD ROM of an Ada compiler (I detest longwinded downloading and the possibility of a load of malware coming with it).
>
> Finally, my existing programs in Ada each contain about 12 very large ‘Case’ packages (most contain about 15000 large non-repeating integers) created in Windows that I use as containers.  Would it be chancy or not to assume that these will adapt smoothly to a Linux environment and I will only have the main programs to contend with for re-writing.
>
> Your help as usual would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Any advice whatever would be appreciated.
>
> adacrypt

Install Linux in a VM, that way you donøt need to repartition.
Ludvic Brenta maintains an Ada compiler for Debian. Ubuntus repository
includes GNAT too. If you choose Ubuntu, go for Xubuntu as it is easy on
the resources.

Erlo

* Re: Programming in Linux – Cold Start.
@ 2013-12-12 19:27   ` Nasser M. Abbasi
From: Nasser M. Abbasi @ 2013-12-12 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/12/2013 1:08 PM, erlo wrote:

> Install Linux in a VM, that way you donøt need to repartition.
> Ludvic Brenta maintains an Ada compiler for Debian. Ubuntus repository
> includes GNAT too. If you choose Ubuntu, go for Xubuntu as it is easy on
> the resources.

That is what I have. I've been using Linux for years, on VBox.
There is no reason at all to partition a disk. Using shared drives, you
mount your windows disk (say D:\ drive) from linux. So you
have access to all your windows data from Linux. So all your
data stays where it is now. On windows, and you can
access it from Linux or windows.

Best of both worlds. I use Linux for compiling/Latex things,
and windows for other stuff I need there.

This is the command I use to mount my windows disk to Linux:

    mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000 me /media/me

You can install gnat using the package manager from Linux.

That is it.

--Nasser

* Re: Programming in Linux – Cold Start.
@ 2013-12-12 20:12   ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2013-12-12 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" writes:
> Now, if you really want it, I suppose I could be bothered to burn a CD
> with gnat on it, and send it to you, for $256, S&H included.

Hey, you can also get all 10 DVDs for Debian 7.2 "Wheezy":

http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Programming in Linux – Cold Start.
@ 2013-12-12 20:26 ` Ludovic Brenta
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2013-12-12 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Austin Obyrne writes on comp.lang.ada:
> Is it possible to purchase a CD ROM of an Ada compiler (I detest
> longwinded downloading and the possibility of a load of malware coming
> with it).

It is possible to purchase a *set* of *DVDs* with or without malware on
them, at your option.

It is possible to purchase a network-install *CD* containing the Linux
kernel and the installation program; this installation program then
fetches the packages from the nearest mirror to install them.

It is possible to purchase a USB stick with the Linux kernel, the
installer, and as many packages as will fit on the USB stick.

It is possible to download the entire distribution, with or without
malware.  If you opt for no malware, choose a distribution that uses
multiple cryptographic hashes (SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-512; yes all of them)
to authenticate the binary packages you download.  One such as Debian,
for example :)

With the net-install bootable CD-ROM, you download and install only what
you need and nothing more.

Last weekend, I salvaged a 5-year-old Debian 5 "Lenny" installation
whose root password was lost, on an old laptop whose CD/DVD reader drive
was dead, and that would not boot from a USB stick.  I booted this
laptop *from the network* into a Linux kernel and Debian installation
program (which also works in rescue mode) served from my main laptop,
and upgraded the machine to "Jessie" (testing) which is not even
released yet :) all the while leaving the Windows XP installation
untouched.

As others have mentioned, you can install on a dedicated partition (dual
or triple boot) or into a virtual machine (requiring enough physical RAM
for both the host and guest OSes simultaneously).

You could even buy a Raspberry Pi with Debian and GNAT on it :)

The possibilities really are endless.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: Programming in Linux – Cold Start.
@ 2013-12-12 21:14   ` Austin Obyrne
From: Austin Obyrne @ 2013-12-12 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 8:26:37 PM UTC, Ludovic Brenta wrote:
> Austin Obyrne writes on comp.lang.ada: > Is it possible to purchase a CD ROM of an Ada compiler (I detest > longwinded downloading and the possibility of a load of malware coming > with it). It is possible to purchase a *set* of *DVDs* with or without malware on them, at your option. It is possible to purchase a network-install *CD* containing the Linux kernel and the installation program; this installation program then fetches the packages from the nearest mirror to install them. It is possible to purchase a USB stick with the Linux kernel, the installer, and as many packages as will fit on the USB stick. It is possible to download the entire distribution, with or without malware. If you opt for no malware, choose a distribution that uses multiple cryptographic hashes (SHA-1, SHA-256, SHA-512; yes all of them) to authenticate the binary packages you download. One such as Debian, for example :) With the net-install bootable CD-ROM, you download and install only what you need and nothing more. Last weekend, I salvaged a 5-year-old Debian 5 "Lenny" installation whose root password was lost, on an old laptop whose CD/DVD reader drive was dead, and that would not boot from a USB stick. I booted this laptop *from the network* into a Linux kernel and Debian installation program (which also works in rescue mode) served from my main laptop, and upgraded the machine to "Jessie" (testing) which is not even released yet :) all the while leaving the Windows XP installation untouched. As others have mentioned, you can install on a dedicated partition (dual or triple boot) or into a virtual machine (requiring enough physical RAM for both the host and guest OSes simultaneously). You could even buy a Raspberry Pi with Debian and GNAT on it :) The possibilities really are endless. -- Ludovic Brenta.

Many thanks to everybody for your help.

Austin O'Byrne