* Counting heads...
@ 2001-06-20  5:06 Rod Weston
From: Rod Weston @ 2001-06-20  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would really love to see a list of Ada programming shops, but I know
that a lot of companies would balk at seeing their name listed in a
newsgroup. But I'm much more interested in how many and their
direction rather than names, so let's try this...  Please fill in the
form below and post it as a reply to this message, hopefully only one
response per shop.

PostalCode  __________
Number of Ada programmers  _____   Total Number of programming staff
_____
Ada used exclusively?  (Y/N)  ___
If No, please list other programming languages with approximate
breakdown by percentage
Version(s) of Ada in use  (83/95) _______
Typical Applications (embedded,defense,financial,scientific, other
_________
If other, please specify __________________________________________
Compiler(s) used  _________________________________________________
Development Environment (EMACS,AdaGIDE, etc) ______________________
Operating Systems developed for ___________________________________
Ada implementation trend (increasing/decreasing/stable) ___________
Object Oriented Programming (all,mostly,partially,none) ___________
Use of UML  (all,mostly,partially,none) __________
Use of CASE (all,mostly,partially,none) __________
Use of SPARK (all,mostly,partially,none) __________
Where/How learned Ada _____________________________________________
Ada websites frequented ___________________________________________
How many other Ada shops are you personally aware of? _____________
Optional - only if ok'd with company Company Name _________________

* Re: Counting heads...
@ 2001-06-20 13:20 ` Marin David Condic
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Marin David Condic @ 2001-06-20 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

It would be interesting to know of what companies utilize Ada to any
non-trivial extent. Perhaps this is something that would fall under SIGAda
jurisdiction? If a shop has much use of Ada at all, someone there is likely
to be a member. Asking the membership for their company affiliation &
whether or not Ada is used there (Always, Sometimes, Never) would provide
useful information if it was put on the website.

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

"Rod Weston" <rod_weston@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I would really love to see a list of Ada programming shops, but I know
> that a lot of companies would balk at seeing their name listed in a
> newsgroup. But I'm much more interested in how many and their
> direction rather than names, so let's try this...  Please fill in the
> form below and post it as a reply to this message, hopefully only one
> response per shop.
>

> PostalCode  __________
> Number of Ada programmers  _____   Total Number of programming staff
> _____
> Ada used exclusively?  (Y/N)  ___
> If No, please list other programming languages with approximate
> breakdown by percentage
> Version(s) of Ada in use  (83/95) _______
> Typical Applications (embedded,defense,financial,scientific, other
> _________
> If other, please specify __________________________________________
> Compiler(s) used  _________________________________________________
> Development Environment (EMACS,AdaGIDE, etc) ______________________
> Operating Systems developed for ___________________________________
> Ada implementation trend (increasing/decreasing/stable) ___________
> Object Oriented Programming (all,mostly,partially,none) ___________
> Use of UML  (all,mostly,partially,none) __________
> Use of CASE (all,mostly,partially,none) __________
> Use of SPARK (all,mostly,partially,none) __________
> Where/How learned Ada _____________________________________________
> Ada websites frequented ___________________________________________
> How many other Ada shops are you personally aware of? _____________
> Optional - only if ok'd with company Company Name _________________

* Re: Counting heads...
@ 2001-06-20 13:34 ` gresset1
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: gresset1 @ 2001-06-20 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

rod_weston@yahoo.com (Rod Weston) wrote:

>I would really love to see a list of Ada programming shops, but I know
>that a lot of companies would balk at seeing their name listed in a
>newsgroup. But I'm much more interested in how many and their
>direction rather than names, so let's try this...  Please fill in the
>form below and post it as a reply to this message, hopefully only one
>response per shop.
>

>PostalCode  76201
>Number of Ada programmers  1   Total Number of programming staff 1
>Ada used exclusively?  (Y/N)  N
>If No, please list other programming languages with approximate
>breakdown by percentage
>C 25%  C++ 25%  Datamerge 25%
>Version(s) of Ada in use  (83/95) 95
>Typical Applications (embedded,defense,financial,scientific, other
>other
>If other, please specify: Management of medical practice
>Compiler(s) used  GNAT 3.12p, 3.13p
>Development Environment (EMACS,AdaGIDE, etc) JED editor
>Operating Systems developed for general use: Linux, SCO OSR5.04
>Ada implementation trend (increasing/decreasing/stable) increasing
>Object Oriented Programming (all,mostly,partially,none) partially
>Use of UML  (all,mostly,partially,none) none
>Use of CASE (all,mostly,partially,none) none
>Use of SPARK (all,mostly,partially,none) none
>Where/How learned Ada Self-taught from Cohen book, help from c.l.a
>Ada websites frequented www.adapower.com,www.gnuada.org
>How many other Ada shops are you personally aware of? 0
>Optional - only if ok'd with company Company Name

* Re: Counting heads...
@ 2001-06-20 15:28 ` Jerry Petrey
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jerry Petrey @ 2001-06-20 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rod Weston wrote:

> I would really love to see a list of Ada programming shops, but I know
> that a lot of companies would balk at seeing their name listed in a
> newsgroup. But I'm much more interested in how many and their
> direction rather than names, so let's try this...  Please fill in the
> form below and post it as a reply to this message, hopefully only one
> response per shop.
>
> PostalCode  ___85747 & 85734_______
> Number of Ada programmers  _100+____   Total Number of programming staff
> _500+____
> Ada used exclusively?  (Y/N)  _N__
> If No, please list other programming languages with approximate
> breakdown by percentage
> ________C 50%  C++ 25%   Ada 25%___________________________________
> Version(s) of Ada in use  (83/95) __both - mostly 83_____
> Typical Applications (embedded,defense,financial,scientific, other
> __embedded defense_______
> If other, please specify __________________________________________
> Compiler(s) used  ____Rational, DDCI, and some others______________
> Development Environment (EMACS,AdaGIDE, etc) _mostly Apex__________
> Operating Systems developed for ___numerous_____________________
> Ada implementation trend (increasing/decreasing/stable) ___slight decrease________
> Object Oriented Programming (all,mostly,partially,none) __partially_____
> Use of UML  (all,mostly,partially,none) __partially__
> Use of CASE (all,mostly,partially,none) __partially__
> Use of SPARK (all,mostly,partially,none) _none__
> Where/How learned Ada ___on the job courses, selt study____________
> Ada websites frequented _____ http://www.adapower.com   http://www.acm.org/sigada/
> How many other Ada shops are you personally aware of? ____10+_______
> Optional - only if ok'd with company Company Name __Raytheon_________

-- Jerry Petrey
-- Senior Principal Systems Engineer - Navigation, Guidance, & Control
-- Raytheon Missile Systems          - Member Team Ada & Team Forth
-- NOTE: please remove <NOSPAM> in email address to
reply

* RE: Counting heads...
@ 2001-06-20 19:31 Beard, Frank
From: Beard, Frank @ 2001-06-20 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org'

I would really love to see a list of Ada programming shops, but I know
that a lot of companies would balk at seeing their name listed in a
newsgroup. But I'm much more interested in how many and their
direction rather than names, so let's try this...  Please fill in the
form below and post it as a reply to this message, hopefully only one
response per shop.

PostalCode  __20374___
Number of Ada programmers  __3__   Total Number of programming staff
__8__
Ada used exclusively?  (Y/N)  _N_
_Delph (GUI)_30%,_C++_10%________________________________________
Version(s) of Ada in use  (83/95) __95___
Typical Applications (embedded,defense,financial,scientific, other
_Defense_
If other, please specify __________________________________________
Compiler(s) used  _Aonix ObjectAda for Windows_____________________
Development Environment (EMACS,AdaGIDE, etc) _ObjectAda IDE________
Operating Systems developed for _Windows NT________________________
Ada implementation trend (increasing/decreasing/stable) _Decreasing
Object Oriented Programming (all,mostly,partially,none) _mostly____
Use of UML  (all,mostly,partially,none) __none____
Use of CASE (all,mostly,partially,none) __none____
Use of SPARK (all,mostly,partially,none) __none____
Where/How learned Ada _University and on the job___________________
Ada websites frequented _AdaPower, Aonix___________________________
How many other Ada shops are you personally aware of? _2___________
Optional - only if ok'd with company Company Name _FB Inc__________

* Re: Counting heads...
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-06-20 19:39 ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2001-06-20 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

rod_weston@yahoo.com (Rod Weston) writes:

> I would really love to see a list of Ada programming shops, but I know
> that a lot of companies would balk at seeing their name listed in a
> newsgroup. But I'm much more interested in how many and their
> direction rather than names, so let's try this...  Please fill in the
> form below and post it as a reply to this message, hopefully only one
> response per shop.
>

> PostalCode  PO6 1RU (UK!)
> Number of Ada programmers  15   Total Number of programming staff
> 100
> Ada used exclusively?  (Y/N)  N
> If No, please list other programming languages with approximate
> breakdown by percentage
> Assembler 5% Coral 40% C 40%
> Version(s) of Ada in use  (83/95) 95
> Typical Applications (embedded,defense,financial,scientific, other
> embedded,defense
> If other, please specify __________________________________________
> Compiler(s) used  GNAT (3.09 :-), 3.12p, 3.14a1
> Development Environment (EMACS,AdaGIDE, etc) GLIDE
> Operating Systems developed for Linux, Solaris, VxWorks
> Ada implementation trend (increasing/decreasing/stable) increasing
> Object Oriented Programming (all,mostly,partially,none) 70% (in the Ada bit)
> Use of UML  (all,mostly,partially,none) 35% (in the Ada bit)
> Use of CASE (all,mostly,partially,none) 75% (in the Ada bit)
> Use of SPARK (all,mostly,partially,none) none
> Where/How learned Ada internal courses
> Ada websites frequented adapower, adaic
> How many other Ada shops are you personally aware of? 5
> Optional - only if ok'd with company Company Name _________________

* Re: Counting heads...
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-06-21  2:54 ` DuckE
From: DuckE @ 2001-06-21  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

www.fsf.org/software/gcc/gcc.html , www.rtems.com __

@ 2001-06-21 11:07 ian.kerr
From: ian.kerr @ 2001-06-21 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

PostalCode  GU14 6YU (Farnborough, UK)
Number of Ada programmers ~60 on this site
Total Number of programming staff ~60 on this site
Ada used exclusively?  (Y/N)  ~Yes
If No, please list other programming languages with approximate
breakdown by percentage
1% C, 1% LISP, 1% Assembly, 1% CORAL66
Version(s) of Ada in use  (83/95) 95___
Typical Applications (embedded,defense,financial,scientific, other
If other, please specify: Embedded defence
Compiler(s) used  Rational APEX, some GNAT & Greenhills ___________
Development Environment (EMACS,AdaGIDE, etc) Hummingbird Exceed->Solaris
->Rose&APEX. Also MS Office for paperwork. Some EMACS, UNIX, Statemate.
Operating Systems developed for: Host, Solaris. Targets: VxWorks & LynxOS
Ada implementation trend (increasing/decreasing/stable) elimination of
legacy code, strongly increasing
Object Oriented Programming (all,mostly,partially,none) mostly?
Use of UML  (all,mostly,partially,none) all in Rational Rose
Use of CASE (all,mostly,partially,none) all in 3SL Cradle
Use of SPARK (all,mostly,partially,none) none______
Where/How learned Ada company courses, reading other's code_________
Ada websites frequented none_______________________________________
How many other Ada shops are you personally aware of? dozens inc Alenia
Marconi, Thompson Marconi Sonar, Racal (now Thales), Aerosystems.
Optional - only if ok'd with company Company Name BAE SYSTEMS

* Re: Counting heads...
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2001-06-21 15:06 ` anon
From: anon @ 2001-06-21 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <f7ce0059.0106192106.24235b38@posting.google.com>, Rod Weston wrote:
> I would really love to see a list of Ada programming shops, but I know
> that a lot of companies would balk at seeing their name listed in a
> newsgroup. But I'm much more interested in how many and their
> direction rather than names, so let's try this...  Please fill in the
> form below and post it as a reply to this message, hopefully only one
> response per shop.
>

> PostalCode  __________D-64293
figures are approximate
Basic, C, assemblies___________________