From: "Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)" <yannick_duchene@yahoo.fr>
Subject: Re: Strange story with Ada validation
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 17:37:37 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2010-02-08T17:37:37-08:00	[thread overview]

On 9 fév, 01:54, "Randy Brukardt" <ra...@rrsoftware.com> wrote:
> The ARA took over responsiblity for validations (now called "conformity
> assessment") following an ISO standardized process when AJPO was closed.
> Seeh ttp://www.adaic.com/compilers/testing.htmlfor some information and
> articles on the process.
I had a look at AdaIC, but missed this one page.

> But note that no one is formally doing these any
> more; the major value of the process is the existence of the test suite and
> the fact that compilers follow it.
Yes, I was indeed wondering about it. There was this article, and the
words about required ACATS updates coming with some Ada 2005 Issues.
This was looking strange to me : an article stating there was no
validation next to Ada 95, and the ACATS seeming in very good health
and applying to Ada 2005.

> Since vendors all follow the ACATS
> without formal testing, there hasn't been too much demand for the extra
> costs involved with the formal testing.
This can be pointed as a good point indeed.

So this is mainly a matter of trust after all (if I've correctly
understood every thing).

By the way, as the ACATS tests suite is publicly available, any one
can check a compiler him/her-self if he/she ever wanted to do so
(while driving alone thousands of tests if probably not a kind of
holiday time).

I guess having a single and common instance taking over this
responsibility, is mainly a matter of funding.

Thanks for the lighting (to be honest, I was expecting a reply from
you).

Although informal, this is still there and in good place (I feel at
rest now).