From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: Compiling separates with GPS GPL version (Ada 2005 i think)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:24:01 -0600
Date: 2006-03-03T16:24:01-06:00	[thread overview]

"Simon Wright" <simon@pushface.org> wrote in message
news:m2fym06od0.fsf@grendel.local...
> "Marc A. Criley" <mcNOSPAM@mckae.com> writes:
>
> > So, you ask, why even bother having subunits?  Precisely! :-) If
> > you're using a GNAT compiler, there isn't much point, which is one
> > of the reasons why I stopped using them a long time ago.
(some good reasons for using separates)
(c) a separate can have its own with clauses, so this provides a way to
reduce the visibility of rarely used components. (After all, a good rule to
follow is to limit everything to the smallest scope where it is needed.)

(d) Most compilers really do compile these things separately. In a large
unit with frequent changes, this can save a lot of time. (Although that was
much more true when PC's were 4 MHZ, not the 4 GHZ that they are today. On
the IBM PC, the average compilation with Janus/Ada took over 10 seconds, and
long units could take much longer...)

                       Randy.