From: "Bob Spooner" <rls19@psu.edu>
Subject: Re: pragma Pack does not work on GNAT 5.01a for Redhat Linux.
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:50:55 -0400
Date: 2007-06-21T10:50:55-04:00	[thread overview]

"Simon Wright" <simon.j.wright@mac.com> wrote in message
news:m2hcp2e4fv.fsf@mac.com...

> There's always a price to pay, of course; the packing isn't dense, and
> it can be quite a challenge to work out what bytes are actually being
> sent (eg, if you find yourself having to talk to C after all).

Yes, XDR takes care of things like endianness, etc. that otherwise get in
the way, but as you point out, there's always a price to be paid for
generality. In some cases it looks like it even will take care of differing
floating point representations, although I wonder about out of range
problems when converting. Isn't there an XDR library for C? I know that
there is one for Fortran. I would think that as long as you have an XDR
library for the language with which you need to communicate, you wouldn't
have to decode the bytes yourself; or have I misunderstood what you are
saying?

Bob