From: patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org
Subject: Re: R/W hardware registers ?
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 06:11:09 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2017-06-30T06:11:09-07:00	[thread overview]

Hi Jacob

Thanks for answering my post. I am pretty sure you are right. I knew that DOS pretty much only has a root user and that user can access parallel ports and such and I knew that regular Posix users could not access hardware like this but I thought it could be by-passed with root access.

However, if that was the case, people could still set pointers to hardware addresses in C and skip the use of outb(and similar calls).

I can bind to ioperm and outb but at this point C is just pestering me. I want to use C when I choose to use it but it just seems to be everywhere and it won't leave me alone.

I just want a break from C, it's more about fun then it is about getting stuff done.

If I find a solution, I will post back to leave a trail of breadcrumbs for others.

Thanks again-Patrick