From: jrmarino <dragonlace.cla@marino.st>
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping Gnu ADA onto FreeBSD/AMD64-CURRENT
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 11:52:48 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2011-10-24T11:52:48-07:00	[thread overview]

On Oct 24, 8:28 pm, Mark Murray <w.h.o...@example.com> wrote:

> How hard would it be to incerease the number of languages it supports?
> I'm hoping "not" :-). In order to avoid a proliferation of GCC builds,

> Big win; if gnat-aux were to support Fortran (used a fair bit) and
> Java (nice to have) or if the gcc46 port were to "grow" gnat-aux type
> support, I'd be delighted!

I wouldn't hold your breath on gcc46 supporting Ada, the bootstrap
issue is hard to overcome.  GNAT-AUX demands a 25-30MB download just
for the first build of the compiler (in addition to the source code),
but after that it uses the compiler on the system to build new
versions.

New version support is whatever GCC is.  The GNAT-AUX tarball is
customized, and these extra languages are left it.  It would be a
matter of putting them back and adding language options.  Fortran
should be fine.  I understand the java is basically not worth having,
is it even being seriously maintained?  Last I checked/understood,
this option is probably not worth pursuing.

> Am I making overly lofty demands yet? ;-)

Not particularly, but compiling building and testing is a huge time-
suck.

> No worries; now that I know where to look, I'm sure I can come up with
> a better plan to the previous one.
>
> Thanks for your help!

No problem.
Dragonlace has all the source for gnat-aux.
When it's time to build GNAT-AUX based on 4.7, I'll make patch format
so it'll be easy to A) see what's different and B) start sending them
to gcc for integration.

John