* Ada transformations with MetaScribe?
@ 2009-03-10 22:13 Dimonax
From: Dimonax @ 2009-03-10 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Has anyone here worked with the MetaScribe software at
http://move.lip6.fr/software/METASCRIBE/index.html

I'm evaluating it for use with the XCB protocol descriptions at
http://xcb.freedesktop.org/

Unfortunately, except for a couple of papers, most of the documentation
is in French.

Are there any English translations available?

On a side note...it seems ironic that a lot of the good documentation on
an Enlish language(pun intended) is written in French. Heh. Anyone else
notice that?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Freejack

* Re: Ada transformations with MetaScribe?
@ 2009-03-10 22:50 ` Ivan Levashew
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ivan Levashew @ 2009-03-10 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dimonax wrote:
> Has anyone here worked with the MetaScribe software at
> http://move.lip6.fr/software/METASCRIBE/index.html
>
> I'm evaluating it for use with the XCB protocol descriptions at
> http://xcb.freedesktop.org/

I've got some success with GEMA.

--
If you want to get to the top, you have to start at the bottom

* Re: Ada transformations with MetaScribe?
@ 2009-03-11  9:58 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2009-03-11  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mar 10, 10:13 pm, Dimonax <dimo...@nospam.net> wrote:
> Has anyone here worked with the MetaScribe software athttp://move.lip6.fr/software/METASCRIBE/index.html
>
> I'm evaluating it for use with the XCB protocol descriptions athttp://xcb.freedesktop.org/
>
> Unfortunately, except for a couple of papers, most of the documentation
> is in French.
>
> Are there any English translations available?
>
> On a side note...it seems ironic that a lot of the good documentation on
> an Enlish language(pun intended) is written in French. Heh. Anyone else

Which "English language" would that be?

Cheers
-- Martin

* Re: Ada transformations with MetaScribe?
@ 2009-03-11 19:33 ` Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2009-03-11 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 mar, 23:13, Dimonax <dimo...@nospam.net> wrote:
> On a side note...it seems ironic that a lot of the good documentation on
> an Enlish language(pun intended) is written in French. Heh. Anyone else
> notice that?
>
> Any tips would be appreciated.
>
> Freejack

Where did you see this side note ? I would like to see it in context

French is my native tongue, .... I will have a look at that (seems
interesting to me).

Feel free to tell me about (via my e-mail) the excerpt you would like
to get in english, perhaps I could translate it for you (provinding it
is not too much long)

* Re: Ada transformations with MetaScribe?
@ 2009-03-11 19:37   ` Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2009-03-11 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10 mar, 23:50, Ivan Levashew <octag...@bluebottle.com> wrote:

> I've got some success with GEMA.
>
> --
> If you want to get to the top, you have to start at the bottom
I know it, and I've talked about Gema in a thread at comp.lang.ada two
months ago.

Any way, Gema and MetaScribe seems to be very different things : Gema
is a preprocessor without any predefined syntax (it requires an
external set of rules), and “that's all” . While MetaScribe comes with
a lot of formalisms and is clearly intended to deal with meta-datas
(as far as I've understood).

* Re: Ada transformations with MetaScribe?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-03-11 19:41 ` Ira Baxter
From: Ira Baxter @ 2009-03-11 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Dimonax" <dimonax@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone here worked with the MetaScribe software at
> http://move.lip6.fr/software/METASCRIBE/index.html
>
> I'm evaluating it for use with the XCB protocol descriptions at
> http://xcb.freedesktop.org/
>
> Unfortunately, except for a couple of papers, most of the documentation
> is in French.

I can't speak for MetaScribe.    If you are looking for tools
that can carry out source-to-source program transformations
on specifications and or convenitional code,
you might consider the DMS Software Reengineering Toolkit.

See http://www.semanticdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSToolkit.html

All of its documentation is in English :-}

--
Ira Baxter, CTO
www.semanticdesigns.com

* Re: Ada transformations with MetaScribe?
@ 2009-03-12  6:33     ` Ivan Levashew
From: Ivan Levashew @ 2009-03-12  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hibou57 (Yannick Duch�ne) wrote:

> I know it, and I've talked about Gema in a thread at comp.lang.ada
> two months ago.

Yes, it was your hint.

> Any way, Gema and MetaScribe seems to be very different things : Gema
> is a preprocessor without any predefined syntax (it requires an
> external set of rules), and �that's all� .

GEMA, Refal (and likely MetaScribe) can all be used for transformations
with different degree of comfort.

--

@ 2009-03-12 22:25   ` Dimonax
From: Dimonax @ 2009-03-12 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:33:09 -0700, Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) wrote:

> On 10 mar, 23:13, Dimonax <dimo...@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On a side note...it seems ironic that a lot of the good documentation
>> on an Enlish language(pun intended) is written in French. Heh. Anyone
>> else notice that?
>>
>> Any tips would be appreciated.
>>
>> Freejack
>
> Where did you see this side note ? I would like to see it in context
>
> French is my native tongue, .... I will have a look at that (seems
> interesting to me).

I was making a joke. While browsing Ada documentation(a language that
uses a primarily English "vocabulary"), I come across lots of documents
that are written in French.

It was just an observation.

Dimonax
aka

@ 2009-03-12 22:28   ` Dimonax
From: Dimonax @ 2009-03-12 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 14:41:13 -0500, Ira Baxter wrote:

> I can't speak for MetaScribe.    If you are looking for tools that can
> carry out source-to-source program transformations on specifications and
> or convenitional code, you might consider the DMS Software Reengineering
> Toolkit.
>
> See http://www.semanticdesigns.com/Products/DMS/DMSToolkit.html
>
> All of its documentation is in English :-}

Unfortunately it looks like it might be little out of my price range.

Dont misunderstand though. I dont mind purchasing good software. The
problem is that the budget is a little tight right now.

Looks like a real nice product though.

@ 2009-03-13 10:44     ` Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2009-03-13 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 mar, 23:28, Dimonax <dimo...@nospam.net> wrote:
> Unfortunately it looks like it might be little out of my price range.
Juste beceayse I'm curious : what product were you seeking for and
what it is the price which is out or range ? (beceause there are many
price ranges on this site).

> Dont misunderstand though. I dont mind purchasing good software. The
> problem is that the budget is a little tight right now.
A complex question indeed.

> Looks like a real nice product though.
I feel the same, and like his project (its name too : semantic-
designs)