From: Maciej Sobczak <see.my.homepage@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Reducing the size of executables produced by GNAT
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 13:41:55 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2008-02-13T13:41:55-08:00	[thread overview]

On 13 Lut, 21:25, Pascal Obry <pas...@obry.net> wrote:

> > As I said before, I would love to do that, but I cannot, due to the
> > fact that it is not a dedicated server.
>
> Don't understand! If you can deploy a CGI on this server you can deploy
> any binary.

No. Deploying a CGI means putting some files into some directory and
the server will do the rest. Deploying "any binary" might mean hooking
it to system startup, so that it gets started automatically after
reboot. Have you ever tried to have your own daemon on a shared host
in any decent hosting company? Forget about it - or just imagine you
are an admin of such a server and you have hundreds of clients with
such brave ideas.

> So an AWS server will do.

Unfortunately, no.

> You just have to either use
> another port than the 80

Firewalls will make it less funny. Hosting companies tend to have
firewalls.

> already used by the Web server or just set a
> redirection from the current Web server to your own AWS based Web server
> (An Apache rewrite rule should do the trick).

We are talking about shared hosting. I'm not sure if redirecting can
be set up easily in this case. With the companies I've been working
with so far, this was not possible.

AWS is an excellent solution, but in practice requires full control on
the given host. That does not work with the majority of hosting
companies out there.

--
Maciej Sobczak * www.msobczak.com * www.inspirel.com