From: Colin Paul Gloster <Colin_Paul_Gloster@ACM.org>
Subject: Re: Medical instruments do use Ada
Date: 2 May 2007 09:23:30 GMT
Date: 2007-05-02T09:23:30+00:00	[thread overview]

In news:RgXWh.860$im2.282@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net timestamped Sun,
22 Apr 2007 22:14:37 -0800, Richard Riehle <adaworks@sbcglobal.net> posted:
"[..]
I used to know a guy who had a small company specializing in the
creation of software for medical instruments on microcontrollers.
For the most part these were computers such as the I-8051, eight
bit micros that had very little primary memory, and did a small number
of functions.  In this environment, Ada may not be the best alternative.
[..]

[..]

There was a correspondent in this forum about ten years ago who was
exploring the potential for Ada in those kinds of systems.  I don't think
he got very far.  Also, there are no compilers in place to support the
kinds of processors used in microcontroller medical systems."

It is not Ada, but...
WWW.DesignTools.co.NZ/mod51.htm

Possibly not Ada, but...
in news:eup71u$bd5$1@newsserver.cilea.it C. P. G. wrote:

"[..]

I do not know whether this is really true, but in the so-called
Republic of Ireland I shockingly heard of one deployed (and not
recalled) life-critical embedded medical software product which is
very crash prone, but which is designed to have a very quick reboot
time (far less than one second) such that it is expected that crashing
does not make the product unsafe. The person who claimed this said
that for his own work (business-critical but not life-critical and not
medical), he similarly does not bother to design his software so well
that it will not crash frequently, and that he tries to have data
structures in such a way that they are resilient to corruption from crashes."