* How to Build Existing Code Using Apex
@ 2002-04-29 16:55 maiale
From: maiale @ 2002-04-29 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am new to ada/apex and just received some code that should be
complete. I am at a loss as to how to re-build this stuff.

I am going through the tutorial/man pages/rational support site but
the going is slow.

Maybe someone here can help me quickly.

I have a directory with 10 or so project.ss subdirectories. And then
for each of those directories there is one subdirectory with a build
number. In this subdirectory there are ada files.

I am at a loss as to how to rebuild this stuff using the APEX IDE.

If anyone can explain to me how this can be done, I'd truly appreciate
it. Likewise, if there is a simple tutorial on "reopening/rebuilding"
old source code, that'd be a blessing.

Thanks,
RM

* Re: How to Build Existing Code Using Apex
@ 2002-04-29 23:27 ` John Cupak
From: John Cupak @ 2002-04-29 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

What you're asking for is a quick tutorial / help on how to use Rational
Apex for Ada. Does anyone at space.com provide training on Apex? Seems
pretty raw to throw someone into using a tool without any training.

That being said, let me know if you still need help by the time you read
this, and e-mail me at John_J_Cupak@raytheon.com, and I'll see what I can do
to help. I teach a course on Rational Apex for Ada (and one for C/C++ too,
but that's another story) on a regular basis.

John

@ 2002-04-30  7:55 ` Nige
From: Nige @ 2002-04-30  7:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

maiale wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to ada/apex and just received some code that should be
> complete. I am at a loss as to how to re-build this stuff.
>
> I am going through the tutorial/man pages/rational support site but
> the going is slow.
>
> Maybe someone here can help me quickly.
>
> I have a directory with 10 or so project.ss subdirectories. And then
> for each of those directories there is one subdirectory with a build
> number. In this subdirectory there are ada files.
>
> I am at a loss as to how to rebuild this stuff using the APEX IDE.
>
> If anyone can explain to me how this can be done, I'd truly appreciate
> it. Likewise, if there is a simple tutorial on "reopening/rebuilding"
> old source code, that'd be a blessing.

You need to find the top level subprogram in the build. It will more
than likely be a procedure without a separate specification, so look for
a file that ends in .2.ada that doesn't have a corresponding .1.ada. If
you open it and it appears to be a procedure body that with's a whole
load of other stuff then you might have found it. Unfortunately it's not
easy to locate it without knowing more about the project.

Apex divides the project into SUBSYSTEMs (.ss directories) which are
logically grouped packages, and to link an executable you need to have
an appropriate VIEW of each subsystem. These are either WORKING (.wrk)
views which can be modified, or RELEASE (.rel) views which can't (for
instance, the predefined subsystems containing Ada.Text_IO, etc).

Each view can import other views to give you your complete build. If the
import set (the combined set of all the imports) is valid, you should be
able to select the top level subprogram, and simply select 'Link...'
from the 'Compile' menu which will give you a pop up dialog box. Just
press OK and you should end up with an executable.

This is obviously a very simplistic view, and there are stacks of things
that could prevent it working, but if you need more info, let me know...

Nige

* Re: How to Build Existing Code Using Apex
@ 2002-04-30 23:02 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-04-30 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

maiale@space.com (maiale) wrote in message news:<f177de3e.0204290855.7546feaa@posting.google.com>...
> If anyone can explain to me how this can be done, I'd truly appreciate
> it. Likewise, if there is a simple tutorial on "reopening/rebuilding"
> old source code, that'd be a blessing.

I would think you should address this to the vendor, who should be able
to provide you with the needed support ...

* Re: How to Build Existing Code Using Apex
@ 2002-05-01 14:36   ` maiale
From: maiale @ 2002-05-01 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Well, thanks to all who have replied. After a steep ride up the
learning curve and contacting rational since BOEING was not helpful, I
received this bit of information.

Seems the real problem was Code control or CM. THey were using SUMMIT
while we are using Clearcase. The solution for me is to create CC
subsystems and then import the old code....

Thanks again!

http://eservice.rational.com/eservice/start.swe?SWEMethod=Drilldown&SWEApplet=FAQ+List+Applet+Search+(eService)&SWEView=FAQ+List+View+Search+(eService)&SWEApcnt=4&SWEField=l_FAQ&SWECmd=InvokeMethod&SWECount=4&SWERowIds=SWERowId0%3d1%2bKM2%2b28705