From: "Anders Wirzenius" <anders.wirzenius@pp.qnet.fi>
Subject: Re: Case statement and Integers.
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 05:14:51 GMT
Date: 2002-04-22T05:14:51+00:00	[thread overview]

tmoran@acm.org wrote in message ...

>  Bicycling to Hawaii is original - but it won't work either.  In
>Software Engineering, the point is to make something that works, not
>necessarily something original.  In fact, since you will abandon most of
>your code to your maintenance successors (one hopes you move on to new
>things!), and originality will just confuse them, originality itself is a
>downright *negative* aspect of code, to be used only when the negative is
>outweighed by the positive benefits of the novel technique.

I think the main goal here is not to produce something that works. The goal
is to learn a computer language. One very good way to learn is to do
something in several different ways and concentrate on what the alternatives
demand from the syntax or logic.
Mr Wannabe h4x0r, please keep up being, as you say in an earlier posting,
"crazy like that". Solve the problem, not in one way, not in two ways, no,
do it in as many ways you may imagine. Compare the ways and watch your
reaction to the different solutions. Then you may discover something very
valuable about Ada.
And of course, nothing prevents you from choosing the "winner code" that is
most efficient, most readable, most maintainable... then you may discover
something about Software Engineering.
br
Anders Wirzenius