From: evans@evans.pgh.pa.us (Arthur Evans Jr)
Cc: evans@evans.pgh.pa.us
Subject: Re: GNAT for Mac?
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 11:00:49 -0500
Date: 1994-11-28T11:00:49-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <3b1gjk$hip@newsbf01.news.aol.com>  ronalds60@aol.com
(RonaldS60) wrote:

> GCC on the Mac IS available under A/UX.  I think it is currently
> the latest version (or one version back) and from what gets on the
> net it compiles cleanly without many (if any) changes.

That's interesting, but I'm not sure that it's very interesting.

APDA doesn't carry A/UX, saying that they carry only software needed by
developers.  Curious.

MacMall carries V3.01 of A/UX for $609.  I guess I just might buy this
if that cost were the only consideration, but I see other problems:

  - I suspect I would need another hard disk; I just don't have multi
    megabytes of unused space.  But disks are cheap now.

  - I would have to become a Unix SysAdmin.  Yucch!  Everyone I know who
    has gone that route complains bitterly about the time it takes.  I
    resent the cost in time more than the cost in money.

  - Informal word I've heard is that A/UX is a bit flaky.

  - By no stretch of the imagination can A/UX be considered a commercial
    success.  It's hard to imagine that ACT would regard a GNAT port to
    it as worth doing.  ACT?

Art Evans

Arthur Evans Jr, PhD        Phone: 412-963-0839
Ada Consulting              FAX:   412-963-0927
461 Fairview Road
Pittsburgh PA  15238-1933
evans@evans.pgh.pa.us