* Mac Ada tool wanted
@ 1996-05-25  0:00 James E. Hopper
From: James E. Hopper @ 1996-05-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

At work we use a product called xinet to allow us to mount the
hard disk of a unix workstation on our macintoshes.  There are also
a least one freeware product that allows this CAP.  i know a number of
you out there are using your macs as terminals to write ada code and
would like a nice ada savvy text editor on your mac..

i was talking to the vendor of a really nice mac text editor (bbedit) that
in its newest version supports color coding of langauge syntax similar
to what emacs does.  they supprt a number of languages but at this time
have not supported Ada.  When i talked to them yesterday they were mildly
interested as its not a lot of work for them to add new langauges.  they
told me they had only had one other enquiry about ada support and that if
they saw more interest they would be inclined to add add support to their
editor. What i would like to do is ask the mac users on this group to
please
email or phone the bbedit folks and let them know if you have interest
in ada support on mac text editors.

by the way. this editor is provided as part of the machten package that
we build gnat-mac on top of.  so if you are going to be using this even if
you don't have bbedit you are probably an interested party.

thanks!!
jim hopper

contact info:

Bare Bones Software, Inc. are the developers and publishers of BBEdit,
the high-performance Macintosh text and HTML editor, as well as the
popular freeware products BBEdit Lite, Drop*PS, PopupFuncs,
TextChanger, and Convert*Projects.  You can obtain information, demos,
and updaters for our commercial products, as well as the latest
versions of our freeware programs via our Web page at

    http://www.barebones.com/

or our new ftp site at

    ftp://ftp.barebones.com/

You can reach us directly via any of the following methods:

E-mail: info@barebones.com      - automatically returns general
information

        sales@barebones.com     - to inquire about purchasing our products

        support@barebones.com   - for technical support questions

Phone:  508-651-3561    ***  Please send email to receive technical
                        ***  support for any of our freeware programs
Fax:    508-651-7584    ***  or visit our Web page for current info.

Postal: Bare Bones Software, Inc.
        P.O. Box 1048
        Bedford, MA 01730-1048

* Re: Mac Ada tool wanted
@ 1996-05-27  0:00 ` Arthur Evans Jr
From: Arthur Evans Jr @ 1996-05-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4o7rcl$nsi@news.erinet.com>, James E. Hopper
<jhopper@erinet.com> wrote:

> i was talking to the vendor of a really nice mac text editor (bbedit) that
> in its newest version supports color coding of langauge syntax similar
> to what emacs does.  they supprt a number of languages but at this time
> have not supported Ada.  When i talked to them yesterday they were mildly
> interested as its not a lot of work for them to add new langauges.  they
> told me they had only had one other enquiry about ada support and that if
> they saw more interest they would be inclined to add add support to their
> editor. What i would like to do is ask the mac users on this group to
> please
> email or phone the bbedit folks and let them know if you have interest
> in ada support on mac text editors.

BBEdit is in fact a fine editor which I use.  However, I point out for
those who really love Emacs that there's a fine GNU Emacs for the Mac,
along with an Ada mode.  Emacs is at
    ftp://cs.cornell.edu/pub/parmet/Emacs-1.17.sit.bin

Art Evans

Arthur Evans Jr, PhD        Phone: 412-963-0839
Ada Consulting              FAX:   412-963-0927
461 Fairview Road
Pittsburgh PA  15238-1933
evans@evans.pgh.pa.us