* Re: HELP! Meridian OpenAda for Mac, do MEL Docs exists ?
@ 1996-03-15  0:00 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1996-03-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <4ibo7n$fd2@info.estec.esa.nl> Michele Zundo said:
>I just bought the old MPW based Meridian OpenAda for Mac,
>however I cannot find in the docs anything about the MEL

My Meridan Mac docs came in a binder.  They are:
  Macintosh Release Notes - Version 4.1
  Macintosh Programmer's Workshop, MPW 3.2 Shell Release Notes
     (copyright Apple)
  Meridian Ada 4.1, Geting Started Macintosh
  Meridian Ada 4.1, Mac Environment Library User's Guide
    74 pages, chapters "Before You Begin", "General Considerations",
    "Common Differences", sequence "Inside Macintosh Volume ...",
    "Macintosh Technical Notes", "MPW Development Environment, Vol I",
    "HyperCard Script Language Guide", "Programmer's Guide to MultiFinder",
    "The Script Manager 2.0", and 4 appendices.
  Meridian Ada 4.1, Compiler User's Guide Macintosh

* Rational customer service praise.
       [not found] <4ibo7n$fd2@info.estec.esa.nl>
@ 1996-03-22  0:00 ` Michele Zundo
From: Michele Zundo @ 1996-03-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In my previous post I was looking for docs on Meridian OpenAda  Mac
which were apparently missing from the Ada83 compiler I just bought
from DC-Heath UK (for a bargain price, if you have a Mac buy it!).

Well, I contacted Rational (which bought Verdix which bought Meridian )
at support@rational.com, the support rep was very responsive and she
faxed me (here in Germany) the installation pages of the
manual to allow me to start working.  Yesterday I had a big
surprise when I received completely free of charge a complete new
copy of the manual shipped via FedEx!!!! :-)

What can I say? This is a good customer service.

Regards

Mike

@ 1996-03-24  0:00 ` Arthur Evans Jr
From: Arthur Evans Jr @ 1996-03-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4ibo7n$fd2@info.estec.esa.nl>,
mzundo@mail-gw.esoc.esa.de (Michele Zundo) wrote:

> OK, to anybody owning the Meridian Open Ada (4.1.4) for Mac.
>
> I just bought the old MPW based Meridian OpenAda for Mac,
> however I cannot find in the docs anything about the MEL
> (Mac Bindings with Toolbox) although the related libraries
> (and floppies) are included in the package.
>
> It seems to me reading from the manual that a chapter about it
> should be included in the manual after the Getting Started and
> the Meridian Ada User Guide.
>
> Since the manual came as a bunch of disassembled sheets
> I seriously think that a part is missing.
>
> Please e-mail me if you can clarify this point.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Mike

I bought the product in Feb 91.  I've gotten updates since, but the
documentation is still the original.  I have an 8.5"x11" looseleaf
binder with about 3/4 inch of paper.  There are three major parts:

  - Getting Started, Macintosh (22 pp)
    This explains how to install the product, troubleshooting the
    installation, and such.

  - Compiler User's Guide, Macintosh (186 pp)
    This is the reference manual on using the entire product.  Part I
    talks about compiling, linking, non-standard aspects of the language
    supported, debugging, implementation details, and lots more.  Part
    II is a command reference, listing each command and telling how to
    invoke it.  Then an Appendix provides the "LRM Appendix F" details.

  - Mac Environment Library, User's Guide (73 pp)
    First there are a few chapters of introduction, including
    installation and an overview.  The there's a chapter for each volume
    of Inside Macintosh.  Finally there is information on MPW interface
    and HyperCard interfacing

It sounds like you didn't get the last part.  Perhaps the reason is that
the material is so out of date -- for example, it includes nothing about
System 7.

Might you be able to get this from Meridian (that is, Rational)?  Who
knows?  It can't hurt to try.

Good luck!

Art Evans

Arthur Evans Jr, PhD        Phone: 412-963-0839
Ada Consulting              FAX:   412-963-0927
461 Fairview Road
Pittsburgh PA  15238-1933
evans@evans.pgh.pa.us