From: evans@evans.pgh.pa.us (Arthur Evans Jr)
Subject: Re: Gnat-Mac and Disk space
Date: 1996/04/21
Date: 1996-04-21T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <AD9E60D296681D0F6@p2.denver2.dialup.csn.net>,
gmckee@cloudnine.com (Gary McKee) wrote:

> The Mac OS addressing scheme is sensitive to the ubiquituous "powers
> of two" syndrome.
>
> Consequently, your minimum file size will drop significantly if you reduce
> your partitions below the "magic" 128k barrier.

Close but not quite.  "Allocation block size grows by 0.5kb for every
32,767kb a partition is in size."  Thus a 127mb partition would have
block size of 2kb, and a 135mb partition would have a block size 2.5kb.
OTOH, if all you are concerned with is block size, you might as well go
up to the next multiple of 32kb.

The quote above is from the documentation that comes with FWB's Hard
Disk Toolkit software.  I'm suspicious of the number 32,767 -- I suspect
it ought to be 32,768.

Art Evans

Arthur Evans Jr, PhD        Phone: 412-963-0839
Ada Consulting              FAX:   412-963-0927
461 Fairview Road
Pittsburgh PA  15238-1933
evans@evans.pgh.pa.us