From: sarge!sarge!esther@uunet.uu.net  (Esther Lumsdon)
Subject: Re: Microsoft targets missile at Ada9X
Date: 21 Jun 93 17:43:49 GMT	[thread overview]

srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:

>    A recent announcement from Microsoft, while having nothing to do with
>Ada, will go a long way towards making the efforts of guys like Mike
>Feldman and the GNU Ada project irrelevant.

>    In the June 14, 1993 issue of Computerworld, page 48, there is a story
>announcing that Microsoft will be donating the source code (4 million lines
>of C++ code) to universities and research institutions around the country,
>similar to licensing of Unix by ATT in the 1970's and 1980's.

>    "We will be able to resynchonize where we are in relation to the
>commercial world", said Howard Wactlar, vice president for research
>computing at Carnegie Mellon University.  That, he said, wil help the
>universities "create knowledge and transfer it to society".

What does this donated source code do?  Is it source for a compiler, or for
device drivers or what?  For example, source for the software provided in the
Tandy model 100 (by Microsoft) would not be very useful these days.
--
-- Esther Lumsdon, not speaking for Verdix.   esther@verdix.com
"It's time to cut bait and talk turkey.  It takes 2 snakes to cross a