From: "Randy Brukardt" <randy@rrsoftware.com>
Subject: Re: FW: How come Ada isn't more popular?
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 17:55:17 -0600
Date: 2007-03-06T17:55:17-06:00	[thread overview]

"Zoe Brain" <aebrain@webone.com.au> wrote in message
news:45ed6ce7$0$31057$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...
> Markus E Leypold wrote:

but he was replying to me...

> >> That's fair, but I disagree. (Perhaps it's just my advancing years --
> >> although it is weird to think of oneself as old at 48, considering I
work
> >> with much older people on the ARG -- it's still old in computer years.
> >> started out on a 4MHZ Z80 with 48K (not M!) of memory, and that will
always
> >> color my impressions.)
>
> At a guess... an Exidy Sorcerer?

It was a Cromemco box and CPU board assembled from parts by a local computer
guru. The CP/M BIOS was horrible (floppies and serial ports were barely
functional), but since they'd provided the source, one of my first projects
was to rewrite it to properly take advantage of the controllers we had.
Interesting days: I can hardly imagine doing something like it today.

> I'm of similar vintage you see. Though the first code I wrote was to
> "help" my Father, in 1966. Some FORTRAN II.

My first coding was on a fancy machine that really was little more than a
programmable calculator (this was in 1974). I got to use Fortran once I got
to the University of Wisconsin in 1976. Then Pascal, C, Modula (not
Modula-2, not invented yet!), and eventually Ada.

                               Randy.