* Re: Ada and Java
       [not found] <19960318.125402.435764.NETNEWS@WVNVM.WVNET.EDU>
@ 1996-03-19  0:00 ` homeboy
From: homeboy @ 1996-03-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Myron Brown (mbrown@olie.wvitcoe.wvnet.edu) wrote:
:   Hi.  I've worked with Ada, and I've worked with Java, but lately I've
: been hearing a lot of talk about generating Java byte codes with Ada.
: Could someone please tell me what sorts of projects this would be
: practical for?

[snip]

For in depth coverage of what Intermetrics, Inc is doing on this hit
http://www.inmet.com/java.html

Basically, Intermetrics is developing a compiler that will take Ada95 code
(excluding some features) and kick out the Java architecture neutral byte
codes.  What is this practical for?  Any application where you want to
compile your code once and then ship it to a multitude of architectures.
Also, these applications (written in your favorite language) could draw on
Java's toolkit/libraries which is part of each Java run-time system on
platforms that include Solaris, Mac OS, Windows 95, Linux, Silicon
Graphics OS, and possibly the following (the OS for the Be Box, OS/2, and
Windows 3.1 (according to IBM, not MicroSquish)).

I don't know of a killer app idea to use this Ada/Java relationship on
yet, but if I did, do you think I would broadcast it over the net _or_ try
to use that killer app idea to make $$$.

--
Charles A. Jaeger, B.S. CpE         c.jaeger@ieee.org
GTE Government Systems              http://www.elfwerks.com/~cjaeger

* Re: Ada and Java
@ 1996-03-20  0:00   ` Paul Whittington
From: Paul Whittington @ 1996-03-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

homeboy@nando.net () wrote:
>Basically, Intermetrics is developing a compiler that will take Ada95 code
>(excluding some features) and kick out the Java architecture neutral byte
>codes.  ...

I've heard of this Ada 95 JVM compiler and I've read the Intermetrics
web page on it, but has anyone actually seen it?

Is there an expected availability date for a commercial version and
what will be the configurations and costs?

What does the Ada 95 interface to the Java class library look like?

Is Intermetrics going to publish the specs for the Java class library
interface in the hopes that it will become a standard, or to get input
from others?

Is there a beta program?

* Re: Ada and Java
@ 1996-03-20  0:00     ` Tucker Taft
From: Tucker Taft @ 1996-03-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Whittington (paul@srv.net) wrote:

: homeboy@nando.net () wrote:
: > ...
: >Basically, Intermetrics is developing a compiler that will take Ada95 code
: >(excluding some features) and kick out the Java architecture neutral byte
: >codes.  ...

: I've heard of this Ada 95 JVM compiler and I've read the Intermetrics
: web page on it, but has anyone actually seen it?

We have distributed a small number of "alpha" versions.

: Is there an expected availability date for a commercial version and
: what will be the configurations and costs?

A "beta" version is due out this week.  Stay tuned...

: What does the Ada 95 interface to the Java class library look like?

There is an Ada package corresponding to each Java class in the API.
I have included a copy of the Ada package corresponding to
standard class java.util.Hashtable at the end of this message.
The typical way to use such a package is to "with" and "use" it
(horrors ;-).  The type names are designed to make "use" appropriate.
We considered other conventions, but this seems to provide the most
direct mapping.

: Is Intermetrics going to publish the specs for the Java class library
: interface in the hopes that it will become a standard, or to get input
: from others?

We do hope it will become a standard, and comments are certainly welcome.
The mapping to Java is so direct that hopefully there isn't too much
to debate (but there is always *something* to debate ;-).

: Is there a beta program?

Yes.  You will be able to download a Sparc, Win32, and (soon) a
Mac version of the Ada/Java "beta".  The product is called AppletMagic(tm),
by the way.

Keep an eye on http://www.inmet.com/java.html, or comp.lang.ada.

Intermetrics, Inc.  Cambridge, MA  USA

------ Ada package interface corresponding to java.util.Hashtable ----

with java.util.Dictionary; use java.util.Dictionary;
with java.lang.String; use java.lang.String;
with java.util.Enumeration; use java.util.Enumeration;
with java.lang.Cloneable; use java.lang.Cloneable;
with java.lang; use java.lang;
package java.util.Hashtable is

    type Hashtable_Obj is new Dictionary_Obj with record
        Cloneable : aliased Cloneable_Obj;  -- implements Cloneable
    end record;
    type Hashtable_Ptr is access all Hashtable_Obj'Class;

    function new_Hashtable(
        initialCapacity : Integer;
        loadFactor : Float;
        this : Hashtable_Ptr := null)
      return Hashtable_Ptr;

    function new_Hashtable(
        initialCapacity : Integer;
        this : Hashtable_Ptr := null)
      return Hashtable_Ptr;

    procedure init_Hashtable(this : access Hashtable_Obj'Class);
    function new_Hashtable(this : Hashtable_Ptr := null) return Hashtable_Ptr;

    function size(this : access Hashtable_Obj) return Integer;

    function isEmpty(this : access Hashtable_Obj) return Boolean;

    function keys(this : access Hashtable_Obj) return Enumeration_Ptr;

    function elements(this : access Hashtable_Obj) return Enumeration_Ptr;

    function contains(this : access Hashtable_Obj;
        value : Object_Ptr)
      return Boolean;

    function containsKey(this : access Hashtable_Obj;
        key : Object_Ptr)
      return Boolean;

    function get(this : access Hashtable_Obj;
        key : Object_Ptr)
      return Object_Ptr;

    function put(this : access Hashtable_Obj;
        key : Object_Ptr;
        value : Object_Ptr)
      return Object_Ptr;

    function remove(this : access Hashtable_Obj;
        key : Object_Ptr)
      return Object_Ptr;

    procedure clear(this : access Hashtable_Obj);

    function clone(this : access Hashtable_Obj) return Object_Ptr;

    function toString(this : access Hashtable_Obj) return String_Ptr;

    pragma Import(Java, contains);
    pragma Import(Java, containsKey);
    pragma Import(Java, clone);
    pragma Import(Java, put);
    pragma Import(Java, elements);
    pragma Import(Java, remove);
    pragma Import(Java, size);
    pragma Import(Java, get);
    pragma Import(Java, clear);
    pragma Import(Java, keys);
    pragma Import(Java, isEmpty);
    pragma Import(Java, toString);

    pragma Import(Java_Constructor, init_Hashtable);
    pragma Import(Java_Constructor, new_Hashtable);

end java.util.Hashtable;

* Re: Ada and Java
@ 1996-03-20  0:00       ` Dale Stanbrough
From: Dale Stanbrough @ 1996-03-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tucker Taft writes:

"You will be able to download a Sparc, Win32, and (soon) a
 Mac version of the Ada/Java "beta".  The product is called
AppletMagic(tm),
 by the way."

...and what is Intermetric's policy to educational institutes?

Dale

* Re: Ada and Java
@ 1996-03-21  0:00       ` Vince Del Vecchio
From: Vince Del Vecchio @ 1996-03-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Dale Stanbrough <dale@goanna.cs.rmit.EDU.AU> said:

> Tucker Taft writes:
> "You will be able to download a Sparc, Win32, and (soon) a
>  Mac version of the Ada/Java "beta".  The product is called
> AppletMagic(tm),
>  by the way."

> ...and what is Intermetric's policy to educational institutes?

The beta will be available for free.  Final product pricing (including
any possible educational pricing) has yet to be determined.

-Vince Del Vecchio
vdelvecc@inmet.com