* AppletMagic and the annexes
@ 1996-05-21  0:00 Pascal Ledru
From: Pascal Ledru @ 1996-05-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody knows if the AppletMagic Ada 95 compiler generating J-code
supports (or will support) any of the annexes?
I was curious how the distributed systems annex could be used in the Java
context for example for heterogeneous computing.
Thanks

* Re: AppletMagic and the annexes
@ 1996-05-22  0:00 ` Vince Del Vecchio
From: Vince Del Vecchio @ 1996-05-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Pascal Ledru <Ledru#m#_Pascal@MSMAIL3.HAC.COM> said:

> Does anybody knows if the AppletMagic Ada 95 compiler generating J-code
> supports (or will support) any of the annexes?
> I was curious how the distributed systems annex could be used in the Java
> context for example for heterogeneous computing.

We don't currently support any of the annexes in AppletMagic, and there
are enough features in the core language that we are still working on
(tasking, variant records, access to subprogram) that it will probably
be awhile before we get to the distributed systems annex.  Sorry.

-Vince Del Vecchio
vdelvecc@inmet.com

* Re: AppletMagic and the annexes
@ 1996-05-22  0:00 ` Laurent Pautet
From: Laurent Pautet @ 1996-05-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <4nsjoo$b8b@hacgate2.hac.com>,
Pascal Ledru  <Ledru#m#_Pascal@MSMAIL3.HAC.COM> wrote:
>Does anybody knows if the AppletMagic Ada 95 compiler generating J-code
>supports (or will support) any of the annexes?
>I was curious how the distributed systems annex could be used in the Java
>context for example for heterogeneous computing.

The rules concerning the use of sockets in Applets are very
restrictive. Implementing the distributed system annex in such a
context does not seem to be a trivial thing to me.
--
-- Laurent

From: Vince Del Vecchio @ 1996-05-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

    pautet@email.enst.fr (Laurent Pautet) said:

> The rules concerning the use of sockets in Applets are very
> restrictive. Implementing the distributed system annex in such a
> context does not seem to be a trivial thing to me.

It would make sense, however, in applications (not applets) run
standalone on a JVM, or perhaps with a somehow loosened security
model.  But you are right, with things the way they are now, you
could probably not do much useful work inside an applet.

-Vincent Del Vecchio
vdelvecc@inmet.com

* Re: AppletMagic and the annexes
@ 1996-05-23  0:00   ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 1996-05-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laurent Pautet

Laurent> The rules concerning the use of sockets in Applets are very
Laurent> restrictive. Implementing the distributed system annex in
Laurent> such a context does not seem to be a trivial thing to me.
Laurent> Laurent

You could still use communication between the host from which the
applet comes and your browser, using the distributed annex features
more in a client/server mode.

I don't know if AppletMagic is able to generate standalone Java
applications. If it is, the distributed annex could be used in this
case.

  Sam
--
"La cervelle des petits enfants, ca doit avoir comme un petit gout de noisette"
                                                       Charles Baudelaire

* Re: AppletMagic and the annexes
@ 1996-05-23  0:00     ` Pascal Ledru
From: Pascal Ledru @ 1996-05-23  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was thinking of applications running standalone on a JVM where you may not
initially know the architecture of a machine where a partition is going to
execute.

* Re: AppletMagic and the annexes
@ 1996-05-24  0:00   ` Vince Del Vecchio
From: Vince Del Vecchio @ 1996-05-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't know if AppletMagic is able to generate standalone Java
> applications. If it is, the distributed annex could be used in this
> case.

Yes, in fact, it can generate standalone Java applications.  So
"AppletMagic" is perhaps a bit of a misnomer.

-Vincent Del Vecchio
vdelvecc@inmet.com