* KDF9 emulator
@ 2017-04-11  0:50 Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2017-04-11  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

A new version of ee9, my emulator for the English Electric KDF9,
is now available, with much other info about the '9, at:

<http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9/>

Binaries for macOS and Linux are provided.
The latter also runs on Windows 10 (!)

I hope to offer binaries for Windows <10,
and perhaps for the Raspberry Pi in due course.

Older binaries for the latter two systems are already available.

ee9 is written in Ada 2005, using GNAT, the GNU Ada compiler.

--
Bill Findlay

* Re: KDF9 emulator
@ 2017-04-11  0:59 ` Paul Rubin
From: Paul Rubin @ 2017-04-11  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Findlay <findlaybill@blueyonder.co.uk > writes:
> A new version of ee9, my emulator for the English Electric KDF9...
> ee9 is written in Ada 2005, using GNAT, the GNU Ada compiler.

Whoo!  Cool!  The KDF9 was way before my time so I never tried to
understand how it worked, but it's nice to hear about the emulation in
Ada.

* Ada &Haskell
@ 2017-04-11  4:13   ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2017-04-11  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Bill Findlay <findlaybill@blueyonder.co.uk > writes:
>> A new version of ee9, my emulator for the English Electric KDF9... ee9
>> is written in Ada 2005, using GNAT, the GNU Ada compiler.
> Whoo! Cool! The KDF9 was way before my time so I never tried to understand how it worked,

Lots of info on the website.

> but it's nice to hear about the emulation in Ada.

Hi, Paul.  I think we met ~22 years ago when you gave a talk on
representing music in Haskell.
I provided the stereo system you used. 8-)

--
Bill Findlay

* Re: Ada &Haskell
@ 2017-04-11 19:36     ` Paul Rubin
From: Paul Rubin @ 2017-04-11 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Findlay <findlaybill@blueyonder.co.uk > writes:
> Hi, Paul.  I think we met ~22 years ago when you gave a talk on
> representing music in Haskell.

Heh, that would have been way cool.  But I bet you're thinking of Paul
Hudak, from Yale, who we lost a few years ago:

http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/people/paul-hudak/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Hudak

* Re: Ada &Haskell
@ 2017-04-11 20:00       ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2017-04-11 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Rubin <no.email@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Bill Findlay <findlaybill@blueyonder.co.uk > writes:
>> Hi, Paul.  I think we met ~22 years ago when you gave a talk on
>> representing music in Haskell.
>
> Heh, that would have been way cool.  But I bet you're thinking of Paul
> Hudak, from Yale, who we lost a few years ago:
>
> http://haskell.cs.yale.edu/people/paul-hudak/
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Hudak

Cripes, yes. Sorry!

--
Bill Findlay

* Re: KDF9 emulator
@ 2017-04-13  0:46 ` robin.vowels
From: robin.vowels @ 2017-04-13  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 10:50:32 AM UTC+10, Bill Findlay wrote:
> A new version of ee9, my emulator for the English Electric KDF9,
> is now available, with much other info about the '9, at:
>
> <http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9/>
>
> Binaries for macOS and Linux are provided.
> The latter also runs on Windows 10 (!)
>
> I hope to offer binaries for Windows <10,
> and perhaps for the Raspberry Pi in due course.
>
> Older binaries for the latter two systems are already available.
>
> ee9 is written in Ada 2005, using GNAT, the GNU Ada compiler.

The design of the KDF9 was based on the language invented by
Charles Hamblin in 1957, called GEORGE.
It used a push-down pop-up stack for the accumulator.

* Re: KDF9 emulator
@ 2017-04-14  5:09   ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2017-04-14  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

<robin.vowels@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 11, 2017 at 10:50:32 AM UTC+10, Bill Findlay wrote:
>> A new version of ee9, my emulator for the English Electric KDF9,
>> is now available, with much other info about the '9, at:
>>
>> <http://www.findlayw.plus.com/KDF9/>
>>
>> Binaries for macOS and Linux are provided.
>> The latter also runs on Windows 10 (!)
>>
>> I hope to offer binaries for Windows <10,
>> and perhaps for the Raspberry Pi in due course.
>>
>> Older binaries for the latter two systems are already available.
>>
>> ee9 is written in Ada 2005, using GNAT, the GNU Ada compiler.

Windows <10 binary now on the website.

--
Bill Findlay