From: "gérard Calliet" <gerard.calliet@pia-sofer.fr>
Subject: Re: Gnat Ada on OpenVMS is back
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 12:04:30 +0100
Date: 2017-03-03T12:04:30+01:00	[thread overview]

Le 02/03/2017 à 20:26, Simon Clubley a écrit :
> On 2017-03-02, gérard Calliet <gerard.calliet@pia-sofer.fr> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The OpenVMS OS, after an announced death in 2013, is back with its
>> primary engeniering team, organized as a start-up (www.vmssoftware.com).
>>
>> In this context, we did a new build on OpenVMS / Itanium of the Gnat Ada
>> compiler. We needed it for an industrial project (a port from OenVMS
>> Alpha to OpenVMS Itanium, an urban transportation control software). The
>> project is about to be runned in production, with images compiled by our
>> Gnat Ada compiler.
>>

> Congratulations Gerard.
>
> I've tried to build GNAT for VMS Alpha from the FSF sources several
> times but I never succeeded because various bits appear to be
> incomplete or missing for the VMS Alpha target.
>
> I never tried to build an IA64 compiler because I don't have an IA64
> box but it's clearly more complete than the Alpha target is (or you
> put more work into it than I was willing to do. :-))
>
> What versions of the FSF GCC and binutils source kits did you use ?
>
> How much trouble did you have building gcc against the DEC C headers ?
>
> I have noticed that the DEC C headers required fewer changes in later
> versions of FSF gcc in my various build attempts than the earlier
> versions did.
>
> Simon.

We have built gcc a 4.7. Because, afterwards, gcc needs some c++
features we did not find on itanium OpenVMS 8.4.1-h1 (from VSI, 18months
ago).

We had some troubles with DEC C headers, a issue with prefixes on symbols.

The build was for a big port operation, which is just ending. Now I want
to take time to generalize the offer, hoping feedback of the community.
Please connect to our "vms ada alliance", and we could go on on gcc, for
the moment on Itanium. (You can perhaps find some "for hobbyist"
platform with itanium,  and anyway every discussion is worth it).

Gérard Calliet

---