From: kevin  cline <kevin.cline@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Am I "Overqualified"?
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 00:07:18 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2008-02-03T00:07:18-08:00	[thread overview]

On Jan 30, 3:21 pm, Ed Berard <ed.berard@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy Folks,
>
> It seems that lately, I have been turned down for an increasing number
> of assignments, because I am "overqualified."

What sort of assignments are you trying to get?  "Overqualified" is a
euphemism for "You have a lengthy and impressive resume, but I don't
see anything to indicate that you would be of any value to my
business."

I read your resume, and I did not get a favorable impression.

First, referring to yourself in the third person gave me the
impression that you are rather pompous and self-impressed.  Listing
your MENSA membership reinforces that impression.  MENSA-level
intelligence is almost a given in this industry, and many people of
high intelligence believe MENSA to be an organization of the socially
inept.  In general, unless you hold a high office, listing social
activities on a resume is a mistake.

The second problem is that I have no idea what you can do, or want to
do.  You seem to have spent a lot of time on the periphery of software
projects, writing documentation and giving training, but little time
actually writing software.  It all gives the impression of someone
with great ambition but little talent.

Finally, I looked at the "What is the WBM?" web page, and I still
haven't got a clue what it is.  Is it a web server, like Apache?  Is
it a web development framework, like RAILS?  And if it is either of
those things, why would anyone pay money for it?  Why did you write it
in the first place?  And why on earth did you write "The sheer expanse
of the Web Business Manager is impressive to most people?"  The people
I know are impressed by clear, concise writing, both in prose and in
code.  Sheer expanse is quite expensive, and best avoided.