From: Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Ada networking (Adagio)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 08:25:40 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-08-21T08:25:40-07:00	[thread overview]

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:25:44 AM UTC-6, Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
> Shark8 wrote:
>

> > On Monday, August 20, 2012 2:59:00 AM UTC-6, Álex R. Mosteo wrote:
> >>

> >> I'm the author and I'm pretty sure I keep the whole history in some
> >> archived SVN. If you're interested I could try to dig it out. Also,
> >> perhaps I could simply convert it to git and put it in github.
>
> > Ah, that would be nice; I did get the zip from Martin though.
> >

> >> I'm not sure how good a resource it is for learning from; I did learn a
> >> lot about blocking and non-blocking sockets when programming that (I
> >> experimented with both approaches -- IIRC a stack size related thread
> >> limit in Windows prompted me to abandon blocking IO in the end), but the
> >> code more or less grew up with little foreplanning.
> >

> > Ah, I know how that is. The thing that's bugging me about it right now is
> > the gnatpatch and runtime-configuration errors. (Still trying to figure
> > them out.)
>
> Ah, right. There was a Calendar bug in the windows GNAT version at the time
> that caused random thread lock-ups in delays. That caused me a lot of
> headaches to track down; I managed with the help of people here:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.ada/cdHjb8qqm5A/U8buGZrldhIJ

I'll have to check that out. Thank you for the reference.
{I also find it somewhat surprising that the Calendar would have a bug; timing seems to be one of the things that Ada as-a-language put a lot of thought into. Ironically addressing a lot of the "Tony the Pony" speech on common programming pitfalls.}

> Also there were some other problems with unbounded strings IIRC.
>
> I'm pretty sure that with recent Gnat versions you can dispense with the
> patching of the compiler. OTOH, perhaps the code won't readily compile with
> Gnat GPL 2012, but fixing whatever is now rejected might be easy.

Hm, I'll have to give it a try.

> I'm going to try to find it and put it in GitHub, and we can work from there
> to put it in shape, if you want.

That'd be great / thanks!