From: Patrick <patrick@spellingbeewinnars.org>
Subject: Re: Tcl/TK + Ada
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:57:21 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2012-09-18T11:57:21-07:00	[thread overview]

Hi Simon

I am still really in the planning stage right now...but when I say daemon I mean a process that stays alive and accepts instructions. I was planning on using a port to receive on.

So let's say we were controlling an optical spectrometer, we might have commands like:
set_wavelength
set_high_voltage
set_stirrer
plot
etc

So take the plot command for instance.  I want the command to send an instruction and arguments to the daemon and then return right away. The plotting could take hours or days so the daemon could be responsible for it after that point.

If I had all these simple little commands to control the daemon I thought I could also build a gui for it to visualize the data being collected.

Hope this isn't too long or too off topic....

Thanks