* Ah, Usenet. How I Missed You.
@ 2016-10-29  1:47 Coyo T Stormcaller
From: Coyo T Stormcaller @ 2016-10-29  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good evening, comp.lang.ada. I was chatting about Pascal on IRC one day when
someone suggested I explore Ada. Now I am reading Wikipedia's Ada
Programming tutorial, and it mentioned this Usenet newsgroup as the primary
means of discourse, should I ever feel the need.

Since I'm no genius hacker, by any stretch of the imagination, I figured I
may as well introduce myself. I will need help while learning to become
proficient at Ada programming.

According to the Wikipedia article on Ada, the language was designed
specifically for military and critical infrastructure purposes, and finds
usefulness in aerospace and nuclear applications. Sounds perfect to me.

I also read that Ada has builtin support for certain debugging and unit
testing functions that would need external toolchains in other languages.
I'm not sure how that works, as I have not gotten to that, yet.

Either way, so far Ada has both the "retro" cool factor of some of the
oldest programming languages, as well as the "underrated" cool factor, of a
language that has significant advantages in its intended uses.

Yes, I am pretty young. I was not alive to physically witness the
"programming" of punch card machines such as the one at IBM. However, among
my friends are some that have been there, and done that.

While I am young, I look forward to reading the old Usenet archives of this
newsgroup, and listening to any guidance or advice you may have to give. I
ask that you have a little patience with this young pup, since I was not
there to see the fascinating history of computing unfold, as many of you,
I'm sure, have.

Thank you in advance for your time and patience.

* Re: Ah, Usenet. How I Missed You.
@ 2016-10-29  2:55 ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2016-10-29  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 6:46:43 PM UTC-7, Coyo T Stormcaller wrote:
> Good evening, comp.lang.ada. I was chatting about Pascal on IRC one day when
> someone suggested I explore Ada. Now I am reading Wikipedia's Ada
> Programming tutorial, and it mentioned this Usenet newsgroup as the primary
> means of discourse, should I ever feel the need.
>
> Since I'm no genius hacker, by any stretch of the imagination, I figured I
> may as well introduce myself. I will need help while learning to become
> proficient at Ada programming.
>
> According to the Wikipedia article on Ada, the language was designed
> specifically for military and critical infrastructure purposes, and finds
> usefulness in aerospace and nuclear applications. Sounds perfect to me.
>
> I also read that Ada has builtin support for certain debugging and unit
> testing functions that would need external toolchains in other languages.
> I'm not sure how that works, as I have not gotten to that, yet.
>
> Either way, so far Ada has both the "retro" cool factor of some of the
> oldest programming languages, as well as the "underrated" cool factor, of a
> language that has significant advantages in its intended uses.
>
> Yes, I am pretty young. I was not alive to physically witness the
> "programming" of punch card machines such as the one at IBM. However, among
> my friends are some that have been there, and done that.
>
> While I am young, I look forward to reading the old Usenet archives of this
> newsgroup, and listening to any guidance or advice you may have to give. I
> ask that you have a little patience with this young pup, since I was not
> there to see the fascinating history of computing unfold, as many of you,
> I'm sure, have.
>
> Thank you in advance for your time and patience.

Welcome on board. Even though I am not an expert, I am more than willing to help whatever I can. In addition, you will be pleased with the help of this group for sure.

Anh Vo

* Re: Ah, Usenet. How I Missed You.
@ 2016-10-29  3:57   ` Coyo T Stormcaller
From: Coyo T Stormcaller @ 2016-10-29  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anh Vo wrote:

> Welcome on board. Even though I am not an expert, I am more than willing
> to help whatever I can. In addition, you will be pleased with the help of
> this group for sure.
>
> Anh Vo

Thank you. I hear good things.

* Re: Ah, Usenet. How I Missed You.
@ 2016-10-29  5:27 ` gautier_niouzes
From: gautier_niouzes @ 2016-10-29  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Either way, so far Ada has both the "retro" cool factor of some of the
> oldest programming languages, as well as the "underrated" cool factor, of a
> language that has significant advantages in its intended uses.

Actually this "retro" factor is a perception due to the fact that older languages are still more widespread. Like some music bands of the '60s, the oldest have a special right of being eternally young ;-)...
"underrated" => "retro", it's how fashion works!
Gautier's Ada programming
http://sf.net/users/gdemont/