* Is there an Ada port to Microchip PIC?
@ 2008-07-18 22:13 Bernd Specht
From: Bernd Specht @ 2008-07-18 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know whether there is an Ada port for PICs available? I have do
write some code for an 18Fxxx with CAN-bus interface and would like to do it
with Ada. I look for native code generation, not for an indirection using
intermediate C code.

Thanks,
Bernd

* Re: Is there an Ada port to Microchip PIC?
@ 2008-07-19  3:08 ` Britt Snodgrass
From: Britt Snodgrass @ 2008-07-19  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Jul 18, 5:13 pm, Bernd.Spe...@gmx.com (Bernd Specht) wrote:
> Does anyone know whether there is an Ada port for PICs available? I have do
> write some code for an 18Fxxx with CAN-bus interface and would like to do it
> with Ada. I look for native code generation, not for an indirection using
> intermediate C code.
>
> Thanks,
> Bernd

If you have to use an actual PIC 18Fxxx then I think you won't find an
Ada compiler.  The 8-bit PICs have a rather ugly programming
architecture (especially if writing in PIC assembly language). If you
could instead use one of the new PIC-32s which are based on MIPS
architecture then its probable you could create or find a GNAT port.
There is also a GNAT port for the 8-bit Atmel AVR chips but I don't
know if any of them come with a CAN bus capability.

Green Hills Software supports PIC-32 with their C & C++ compilers. I
asked if they planned to port their Ada compiler but their response
indicated they wanted a first customer to pay for the port.

I've long thought that the lack of Ada compilers for popular,
peripheral-rich microcontrollers is the principal reason that Ada
hasn't been adopted by more embedded programming hobbyists.

- Britt

* Re: Is there an Ada port to Microchip PIC?
@ 2008-07-23 21:50 ` Samuel Tardieu
From: Samuel Tardieu @ 2008-07-23 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bernd> Does anyone know whether there is an Ada port for PICs
Bernd> available? I have do write some code for an 18Fxxx with CAN-bus
Bernd> interface and would like to do it with Ada. I look for native
Bernd> code generation, not for an indirection using intermediate C
Bernd> code.

None that I know about. If you have to program a PIC18Fxxx, I suggest
that you have a look at rforth1 (http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/rforth1),
a Forth cross-compiler generating very efficient native code. But you
have to like Forth :)

  Sam
--
Samuel Tardieu -- sam@rfc1149.net -- http://www.rfc1149.net/