From: Shark8 <onewingedshark@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: gnoga.com work on freebsd?  anyone got a live site?
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 18:31:46 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2018-05-23T18:31:46-07:00	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, May 23, 2018 at 5:52:33 PM UTC-6, polymorph self wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 22, 2018 at 9:40:19 AM UTC-4, polymorph self wrote:
> > does gnoga kick ass over say yii php?
> > what about vs seaside smalltalk?
> > or swi prolog web?
> > or django?
>
> say you wanted to write an online chat site for dating
> date-chat
> using gnoga
> would you use files for persistance?

There's no technical reason you couldn't, given these requirements.

> or is it worth the complexity of postgresql?

That very much depends on less abstract/overview requirements -- if you're going to support massive searches, filtering, and the like it makes it more attractive to use a database -- if you're going with a more "bare-bones" there's no reason for any of that.

> I see from work that updating a database after few years use is sooooo painful that the app rots because no oen redoes the dataabse the right way

I can empathize; but I think the core thing there is that there's a huge deficit of valuation [culturally speaking] of design -- that's the reason there's "code-a-thon" events and not "design-a-thon" events.