* Crossrail TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine) names
@ 2012-02-29 13:42 phil.clayton
From: phil.clayton @ 2012-02-29 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Crossrail (a UK railway project) have a vote to name their two TBMs.  Like ships, it is traditional that they have women's names.  One of the suggestions is Ada and Phyllis in recognition of women who have contributed to technology.  See
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/press-releases/voting-now-underway-to-name-crossrails-giant-tunnel-boring-machines

If you want Ada and Phyllis, today (29th Feb) is the last day to vote!  Follow the link below the table of names to vote.

Phil

* Re: Crossrail TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine) names
@ 2012-02-29 15:31 ` mockturtle
From: mockturtle @ 2012-02-29 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Il giorno mercoledì 29 febbraio 2012 14:42:23 UTC+1, phil.c...@lineone.net ha scritto:
> Crossrail (a UK railway project) have a vote to name their two TBMs.  Like ships, it is traditional that they have women's names.  One of the suggestions is Ada and Phyllis in recognition of women who have contributed to technology.

I am not a native English speaker, so in a first moment I interpreted "boring machine," not as a machine that makes holes, but as a machine that... makes you bored (it does not amuse you). :-)

@ 2012-02-29 15:39   ` Gautier write-only
From: Gautier write-only @ 2012-02-29 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am not a native English speaker, so in a first moment I interpreted "boring machine," not as a machine that makes holes, but as a machine that... makes you bored (it does not amuse you). :-)

Lol! I had a similar reaction. A good source of playing with words...

Boring Tunnel Machine
Turing Machine (Turing being a contraction of Tu[nnel] [Bo]ring).

G.

* Re: Crossrail TBM (Tunnel Boring Machine) names
@ 2012-03-13 21:43 ` phil.clayton
From: phil.clayton @ 2012-03-13 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well voted folks - the first two TBMs are now named Ada and Phyllis!
http://www.crossrail.co.uk/news/press-releases/giant-tunnel-boring-machines-ready-to-start-crossrail-dig

I can't help wishing one had been named after a Danish physicist though...