From: David Botton <david@botton.com>
Subject: Re: New Gnoga Website and Its Source
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 18:20:03 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2014-11-17T18:20:03-08:00	[thread overview]

> Are you going to make some static pages available for search engines?

For the moment there is a <noscript> tag with a description of the site that addresses that until the site is done. Not ideal but works for now.

There is a way currently in Gnoga to dump the site to plain html and attach to elements for interactivity on connection that I could use to address the crawler issues and I may end up using that method.

I am also considering adding a fallback mechanism using http and ajax for Gnoga, although it seems, so far, that there is little need. After a few tweaks it seems that most firewalls and proxies are working today with websockets so the need may not be there.

In general the web has moved to more dynamic content and "comet" programming. So Google provides a way to allow you to present static content in an alternate crawler only URL scheme. I likely will add a way to automate Gnoga to provide the HTML snapshots with the proper URL scheme. (https://developers.google.com/webmasters/ajax-crawling/ and https://developers.google.com/webmasters/ajax-crawling/docs/specification)

For now though, I am mostly experimenting with possible "patterns" for writing websites with Gnoga.

Gnoga's design is "app" centric and more about GUIs than sites, so far a very refreshing and enjoyable way of writing a web site, i.e. as an application. Once I've got a good feel for it I'll add to Gnoga the needed parts to address the crawler issues in one form or another.

David Botton