From: Ted Dennison<dennison@telepath.com>
Subject: Re: Copying by dispatching on remote access to class wide types
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:37:46 GMT
Date: 2001-04-12T15:37:46+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <9b25g9$gn7$1@trog.dera.gov.uk>, Kevin Rigotti says...

>What I would like to be able to do is have a function to take a local copy
>of part of some remote data, of the form
>
>    function copy(remote : Distributed_Object_T; .... ) return
>Distributed_Object_T
>
>where calls dispatch on the controlling operand "remote" which would be a
>derefence of a remote access to class wide type, and NOT on the returned
>value (of variable size as determined by the other arguments) which is a
>local copy of part of the remote data.

That ought to be OK, as long as both the parameter and the return type always
end up having the same tag. At least, I know it would be OK if they were both
parameters. I haven't tried it with return values before...

If you want them to be able to have *different* tags, then you should probably
make one of them Distributed_Object_T'Class, so that it will only dispatch on
the other one. I'd suggest the return value, but it depends on exactly what you
want to do with it.

---