* Semantics of "halting immediately" was (F9X twister, etc...)
@ 2000-04-12  0:00 James Giles
From: James Giles @ 2000-04-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Geoff Bull wrote in message <38F41313.DAF90E74@research.canon.com.au>...
>>   And,
>> branching to a handler probably loses all of the register contents
>> that were present when the error arose.
>I'm missing something.
>By my definition of quit immediately you lose the contents of registers too.

Those are (should be) in the drop-file, core file, or whatever is
generated on your system that the debugger gets to look at when
a program abnormally terminates.  If the program continues to run
after the error is detected, this information reflects the state
the program is in when it does finally terminate (ie. after
"graceful" termination).

>> The buffers are inside the system and not part of my process
>> image anyway.  Systems which
>> throw away I/O buffer information when a process terminates
>> are seriously broken.
>
>What about buffered io and user defined buffering?

Like all parts of the program's state, those are all still present
in the debugging file.  You can inspect them there.  If you're
writing a program and testing its operation (or even just using
it, but you're also the one that wrote it) you want the program
halt in the case of an error without destroying the evidence
of what caused the failure.

--
J. Giles

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-04-12  0:00 UTC | newest]